Honored Contributor

Re: Tony Stewart to Race on Sunday 8/31

On 8/28/2014 cody said:

If I had had an on-the-job accident while working...I wouldn't have been able to take a year off because of it. Who would? He has sponsors and a crew. What happens to them while he takes off work?

So many posters here just say things without any knowledge of the topic and without ever giving things thoughtful consideration. The man owns a business that employs many people who depend on him - not to even mention that his sponsors have paid for a product - him - and he needs to deliver that product. He has moral and legal obligations to Stewart Haas racing. if he doesn't come back and allows someone who doesn't have a ride to finish his season he would no doubt lose his sponsorship. It is the sponsors who pay the bills and the salaries for these teams.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 cody said:

Thank you for that information John. I wasn't aware of how easily he could be replaced. I really don't know much about racing, which is obvious here. My intent was to point out that not many folks could just take off work after an on the job accident which I believe this was.

O/T, how is that baby boxer doing? You and Cindy are just the BEST to give those pups a chance to find a forever home. Bless you both!

Hi cody,

At times some sports get pretty complicated and unless one follows them regularly it is easy to get lost in all the many rules and regulations. And my favorite sport, hockey, is certainly right up there at the top of them.

The boxer my wife got last weekend has already got 2 applications put in for her to get a permanent home. My wife takes her to what are called "Meet and Greet" which are both fund raisers for the organization and also where people can meet the dogs in which they might be interested in adopting. They generally have 1 of these every other week or so, some times more often depending on the interest shown by people on their website.

This one, Dixie, is about as sweet a dog as one could find. My sister has a Malamute and my wife has taken Dixie over to run around and play with him. She has 10 acres and 3 horses and has a paddock that is huge in which they can run around and are not able to get outside of it because of the fencing. We have a huge yard but it is not fenced in and we live close to a state highway so don't want to take any chances letting the fosters run around our property.

The previous owner had an "electronic fence" but when he told me 2 of his dogs were killed on the highway above? Pretty much convinced us there ain't no way any of our felines, or now these boxers, were we going to let run freely around our property.

Thanks for asking about her. That was very nice of you.

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I thought he was leaving racing.
Valued Contributor

On 8/28/2014 Linders Back said:

I haven't heard a lot of angry former fans over the past weeks.

The only negatives I have seen or heard are from people who were never fans of his in the first place. Those of us who are fans of Tony and fans of NASCAR in general realize this was a terrible unfortunate accident. Many racers have come back after tragic events and raced earlier than Tony.

I think real NASCAR fans will welcome him back Sunday. If he feels he is ready, and has been cleared to race, then I say "Welcome Back".

Well said

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 madzonie said: I thought he was leaving racing.

When that came out the other week, I posted that it was a "hoax", but no one believed me! Well I guess they do now!

What ............. an on the job accident??? What a ridiculous comment, he wasn't injured!!! He killed someone!!!{#emotions_dlg.angry}

Honored Contributor

When ever we have gone to the races I see those extremely high fences that are there to keep people off the field and I think - could any one actually be so stupid that they would go out on the field where cars are going almost 200 MPH. Well - apparently, not just the fans but also at least one driver was exactly that stupid. He should have known better - and that is the fact of it. It is not rocket science to not walk around among cars going that fast and esp. those very difficult to steer sprint cars. His death was the consequence of his own very poor decision.

Honored Contributor

Executive Vice President of Stewart-Haas Racing, Brett Frood, is currently answering questions from the media regarding Stewart's return to racing on ESPN2. Stewart opened the briefing with a prepared statement and took no questions. NASCAR President Mike Helton will address the media regarding Stewart's return in 45 minutes.

Respected Contributor

I am not a racing fan in general (meaning I don't watch it ...I have nothing against it).

However, I have followed this case from the beginning. There is no way anyone here can say he is a murderer(manslaughter).

NOBODY here is an expert in viewing the films and nobody here has interviewed witnesses.

Until proved otherwise, that young man caused his own death by walking out into the middle of that track. It's a tragedy but his own fault.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 cody said:

If I had had an on-the-job accident while working...I wouldn't have been able to take a year off because of it. Who would? He has sponsors and a crew. What happens to them while he takes off work?

His CAR has raced every week...they have a back up driver.

He is not indispensable.

Honored Contributor

HE is paid for by Sponsors. Those sponsors want him in the car with their logo on it, not another driver. He is a driver and that's what their life revolves around. He is trying to get back to his life.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."