Honored Contributor

Re: Tony Stewart Kills Race Driver

I saw the same thing,....but I also saw all other cars avoiding the victim..except TS....hummm.

Valued Contributor

On 8/11/2014 JuJu Squeezie said:
On 8/11/2014 kaybee said:
On 8/11/2014 BuckleBunny said:

Nascar should ban drivers from leaving their cars. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a tragedy to effect changes like that.

You can hardly do that after they've been hit due to the possibility of a fire.

But this wasn't what happened in this case.

With no prejudice I saw...

one man who got out of his car walking towards a moving vehicle to make an aggressive gesture/remark to the driver of the moving vehicle and the vehicle which stuck the pedestrian seems to have had a working accelerator and a brake which the driver had the option to use either way.

This is what anger, ego and testosterone can do and because a life is so much more precious than being right and tough, I think both are at fault. If I am driving and see a pedestrian outside of a crosswalk it's still my duty to use my break and driving ability to avoid hitting the pedestrian. It was a race for sport and this incident has nothing to do with a "good sport". The race was on a "caution"(yellow light) or "stop"(red light) status at the time the driver was hit.

< I agree, juju, I thought it would be investigated to see if he tried to avoid hitting the young driver.....it's so sad.

Super Contributor

On 8/11/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/11/2014 Preds said:

Fishing causes more fatalities each year than any other major sport, according to Sporting Life 360. As fishing has been around longer than any modern sport, it has also killed the most people over time. Most deaths in the sport are a result of people drowning.

Other sports that cause a lot of fatalities include boxing, horseback riding, base jumping and rock climbing. Boxing kills about nine people per year, about 128 out of every 100,000 participants die horseback riding, and base jumping kills approximately six people per year. The most dangerous year for rock climbers was 2000 when 24 climbers died.

Those are all ACTIVE sports.

Except for boxing (ANOTHER blood sport, IMO) people don't pay money to sit in the stands and watch drivers (and sometimes spectators) die in front of their eyes...

Well the driver didn't die because of racing. He spun out, he was alive. He died because of his actions. IF he hadn't done that, he'd be alive today.

Super Contributor

On 8/11/2014 sidsmom said:

Ah...the popularity of MMA throughout recent years is telling...

Even the "X" games...Extreme is want the public wants....and yeah, they wanna see something.

I watch the XGames, I love seeing the talent these men and women have especially with snowboarding. The snowboarders will do what they do regardless if they are on TV or not. They compete with each other doing what they love.

Respected Contributor

Listen I am so not a Tony Stewart fan I have never liked him. But that said, this was an avoidable tradgedy and it is being investigated.

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Caravaggio said:

Listen I am so not a Tony Stewart fan I have never liked him. But that said, this was an avoidable tradgedy and it is being investigated.

The NY Daily News had a great article -

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/lupica-death-kevin-ward-jr-fueled-rage-article-1.1898...

Valued Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Caravaggio said:

I thought I heard no charges at this time?
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

When a Nascar driver is in an accident, prodigal is to open the woven rubber window on the drivers side to show that they are coherent. A yellow flag is flown and a pit car is released to slow traffic. All of the driver's spotters communicate that a yellow flag has been flown and they slow down and line up. If they are able and the coast is clear they will get out of their car. Sometimes they are mad if they were spun out but they don't run down on the track to impede traffic.

I thought this wasn't Nascar, it was sprint cars. Much slower.

Honored Contributor

There are no charges at this time, Jannabelle, but depending on the investigation, there could be. They are asking everyone that may have taped the race to furnish a copy for the investigation. I , too am not a Stewart fan, but we need to see more evidence in order to place all the blame on him. Ward should never have approached oncoming traffic and he did have to dodge some of the others drivers just as they had to dodge him.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

On 8/11/2014 pupcakes said:
On 8/11/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

When a Nascar driver is in an accident, prodigal is to open the woven rubber window on the drivers side to show that they are coherent. A yellow flag is flown and a pit car is released to slow traffic. All of the driver's spotters communicate that a yellow flag has been flown and they slow down and line up. If they are able and the coast is clear they will get out of their car. Sometimes they are mad if they were spun out but they don't run down on the track to impede traffic.

I thought this wasn't Nascar, it was sprint cars. Much slower.

I know that. I was responding to someone was referring to Nascar. Mike Lupica's article was typical of someone who doesn't know auto racing.