Respected Contributor

Re: Tony Stewart Kills Race Driver

My nephew is a racecar driver and while he feels horrible for this driver he too said no matter how mad you are you never do what he did. It is a terrible accident and a tragedy for all involved. I am glad he has a level head on his shoulders and will not pull this kind of stunt. His late father was his manager and biggest fan I know we all worry about his safety everytime he races or practices.

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

Stewart was not going full throttle when the incident occurred. They reported he was going 25-30 mph, those cars go much faster than that. I've been to sprint car races before. The cars are very small, very unstable, they roll very easily, and bounce around often. The track is made out of gravel they slide at every turn, the tracks are really small.

If a driver takes the risk of getting out of a car, they open themselves to danger. Ward took that chance and lost his life.

If you listen to the media, the majority of them have no idea of what they are reporting and just regurgitate what other reports speculate.

I read "other" drivers have gotten out of their cars and unto the track, including TS. Not saying it's right. The problem I have is TS was the driver who hit Kevin's cars to the wall. Then TS is the one who k*lled him. I believe he tried to scare him, but it went so wrong. Also, TS having the tire changed after, is a problem. This situation should be fully investigated.

Respected Contributor

Stewart was not going full throttle when the incident occurred. They reported he was going 25-30 mph, those cars go much faster than that. I've been to sprint car races before. The cars are very small, very unstable, they roll very easily, and bounce around often. The track is made out of gravel they slide at every turn, the tracks are really small.

If a driver takes the risk of getting out of a car, they open themselves to danger. Ward took that chance and lost his life.

If you listen to the media, the majority of them have no idea of what they are reporting and just regurgitate what other reports speculate.

Good post Luv !

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 missyw1 said:

I read "other" drivers have gotten out of their cars and unto the track, including TS. Not saying it's right. The problem I have is TS was the driver who hit Kevin's cars to the wall. Then TS is the one who k*lled him. I believe he tried to scare him, but it went so wrong. Also, TS having the tire changed after, is a problem. This situation should be fully investigated.

As to him (Stewart) getting out of the car it was during pit time. This incident they were in a caution lap and so for this kid to get out had he not been killed he would of faced a fine for his actions.

Super Contributor

Nascar should ban drivers from leaving their cars. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a tragedy to effect changes like that.

Valued Contributor

I think the word ""kills"" in the title of this thread should be ""hits"" instead.

Super Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Caravaggio said:
On 8/11/2014 missyw1 said:

As to him (Stewart) getting out of the car it was during pit time. This incident they were in a caution lap and so for this kid to get out had he not been killed he would of faced a fine for his actions.

Caravaggio is right. Stewart got out of his car after he was OUT of the race in the pit. That is a huge difference.

The sprintcar races generally have experienced race car drivers from Nascar, Truck Series, Busch and Nationwide in their races. It's certainly not unheard of and the people driving the sprintcars have years of experience driving. Ward had been driving cars for well over a decade. The sprint cars are regulated and restricted, just because someone races in Nascar doesn't guarantee a victory.

To say that age is a qualifying factor, how did Jeff Gordon enter Nascar at the age of 21 and was the Champion the following year? He was racing against the "Intimidater" Dale Earnhardt and they were rivals.

There is risk in every sport and Ward took a risk and lost.

Super Contributor

On 8/11/2014 BuckleBunny said:

Nascar should ban drivers from leaving their cars. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a tragedy to effect changes like that.

You can hardly do that after they've been hit due to the possibility of a fire.

Honored Contributor

What a horrible thing to happen.

Honored Contributor

I don't even think this is a sport.