Super Contributor

Tony Dow NOT DEAD....should not have announced it

Leave It To Beaver star Tony Dow is still alive following an announcement on his official Facebook account that wrongly stated that he had died on Tuesday at age 77.

The incorrect statement, which was credited to Frank Bilotta and Renee James — who described themselves as his managers  — claimed the actor had already died, but his son Christopher Dow later clarified that he was 'in his last hours' to Fox News Digital.

'This is a difficult time,' said Christopher. 'Yes he is still alive but in his last hours. Under hospice care.'

Following the incorrect death announcement, Dow's former costar Jerry Mathers — who played the title character on Leave It To Beaver — shared an emotional tribute on Facebook in which he wrote that Dow's reported death 'leaves an emp

Respected Contributor

Re: Tony Dow NOT DEAD....should not have announced it

This is a horrible thing to do to anyone; especially his family. Complete privacy is best when someone is this sick or their death is imminent. Plenty of time when the person passes away to announce their death.

Honored Contributor

How awkward....challenging time for family and friends. Hoping that he is surrounded by peace and comfort.

Honored Contributor

the news was passed along because it was tonys wife that had initially confirmed that he had passed away........

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago, the death of Tanya Roberts was prematurely announced. Unfortunately, I think this will be a repeat of that.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

This is so disgraceful, I feel bad for the family, it will be like losing him twice. This is because the media are vultures, they have to be the first to report something, scoop everybody else. He and his family deserve an apology.

Honored Contributor

via his official fb page

Tony Dow 

2h  · 

URGENT UPDATE:
This morning Tony's wife Lauren, who was very distraught, had notified us that Tony had passed and asked that we notify all his fans. As we are sure you can understand, this has been a very trying time for her. We have since received a call from Tony's daughter-in-law saying that while Tony is not doing well, he has not yet passed. Tony's son Christopher and his daughter-in-law Melissa have also been by his side comforting him, and we will keep you posted on any future updates..

1h  · 

An Update from Christopher Dow:
This is a difficult time. Dad is at home, under hospice care, and in his last hours. My wife and I are by his side along with many friends that have visited. He has a fighting heart.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

IMHO, no one is dead until someone in an official capacity (doctor, hospice nurse, etc.) says so. This is quite unfortunate and a bit bizarre. 

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

IMHO, no one is dead until someone in an official capacity (doctor, hospice nurse, etc.) says so. This is quite unfortunate and a bit bizarre. 

Very bizarre. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

UPDATE: Tony Dow is still alive. I had a conversation with his wife, Lauren. She is understandably distraught and grief-stricken about what's been going on with Tony's health battle these past months. He's been in hospice care at their home, and based on some health issues overnight, Lauren inferred that Tony had passed away to some people close to her and the word quickly spread. Lauren admits she's been "a little fuzzy" these days--understandable.

She told me she now feels "foolish" about what has transpired since his death has been reported around the world. She also told me, through her pain, "it is of my own doing." I told her we know it's been a very stressful time and people understand overwhelming grief. Lauren says she "loves and adores" her husband of 42 years with all of her heart.

While she did say he passed, she now understands the miscommunication and is sorry for causing a commotion in this challenging time.