Esteemed Contributor

Re: Toni Morrison has passed away

Talented writer who will be missed.

I'm sure that Oprah is devestated, too.

R.I.P.

candle.gif

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although I love all her books, The Bluest Eye is my absolute favorite. 

Her words.  The cadence.  She and Faulkner -- stunning. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From a local station's (WTOP) site:

By her early 60s, after just six novels, she had become the first black woman to receive the Nobel literature prize, praised in 1993 by the Swedish academy for her “visionary force” and for her delving into “language itself, a language she wants to liberate” from categories of black and white. In 2012, Barack Obama awarded her a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

“Her writing was not just beautiful but meaningful — a challenge to our conscience and a call to greater empathy,” Obama wrote Tuesday on his Facebook page. “She was as good a storyteller, as captivating, in person as she was on the page.”

Morrison helped raise American multiculturalism to the world stage and helped uncensor her country’s past, unearthing the lives of the unknown and the unwanted, those she would call “the unfree at the heart of the democratic experiment.” In her novels, history — black history — was a trove of poetry, tragedy, love, adventure and good old gossip, whether in small-town Ohio in “Sula” or big-city Harlem in “Jazz.” She regarded race as a social construct and through language founded the better world her characters suffered to attain. Morrison wove everything from African literature and slave folklore to the Bible and Gabriel Garcia Marquez into the most diverse, yet harmonious, of literary communities.

“Narrative has never been merely entertainment for me,” she said in her Nobel lecture. “It is, I believe, one of the principal ways in which we absorb knowledge.”

Winner of the 1988 Pulitzer Prize for “Beloved,” she was one of the book world’s most regal presences, with her expanse of graying dreadlocks; her dark, discerning eyes; and warm, theatrical voice, able to lower itself to a mysterious growl or rise to a humorous falsetto. “That handsome and perceptive lady,” James Baldwin called her.

Honored Contributor

Another great loss. RIP Ms. Morrison.

Honored Contributor

R.I.P.

R.I.P.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

What a great loss!   Toni was such a talented and gifted writer.  Rest in Peace, Ms. Morrison!

Esteemed Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@ILTH   ...  

My favorite, too.   I was hooked after reading this one.  

Honored Contributor

I loved to hear her speak, I could listen to her all day. She really will be missed.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Powerful master of words.  Amazing woman of deep strength, character and talent. To create a life in books  that stays in the hearts and mind of those who read, is masterful.  She was beautiful as well.  She will be missed.