Honored Contributor

Re: Toni Brattin & Her Hair Coming to QVC

The following comment is not about wigs: I'd never seen this person before today, and I will not see her again. I found her to overbearing to the point of being obnoxious.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Toni is terrific and entertaining.  She has been around for many years and has helped women who need her with a decent product at a reasonable price.

While I find Toni neither terrific nor entertaining. I have difficulty watching her (so I don’t). JMO, as you have your opinion.

As for “helping women who need her” - She is not making all her wigs and hairpieces solely for those who have lost their hair or have extremely thin hair. Her market is anyone who will wear a wig, for any reason, including just wanting to have another hair color.  

As you know, many wig companies exist to “help those that need” their wigs; it’s not like Toni is the only person who sells wigs, or even the only person on QVC), and I can’t think she’d have some special reason to be different in her customer base than the other companies so she would be more praiseworthy than others. 

I have been watching the presentation on QVC2 and nothing seems different to me in her presentation or in her offerings, than what she’s brought to the other shopping channels in the past.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde, 85% white sounds quite striking.  Have you considered going "all white" (it wouldn't be that far different from your current color) or even platinum?

Honored Contributor

Her products are affordable and reading her reviews here makes me think that her hair pieces and wigs aren't so bad. Her personality is over the top but that's what sells. Her products are available all over and she sells through amazon as well with a high rating so she must be doing something right. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

I think she's a darling woman and if I needed a wig would definitely give one a try.  They do look kind of poofy but on one style she said you can brush it down...that one I really liked.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Moonchilde, 85% white sounds quite striking.  Have you considered going "all white" (it wouldn't be that far different from your current color) or even platinum?

@Oznell, to the casual eye, I think it looks more like 90+% white as most of the gray is underneath/in hidden areas.

I have noooo desire any longer to spend the time and $$ to color my hair by any process - bt;dt and that’s why I stopped coloring my hair and let it go to begin with ;-)

Honored Contributor

I flipped past QVC and saw Mary in a wig that looked horrible.  For one thing, the blonde color on Mary was bad.  Then the wig wasn't on her head correctly and looked a mess.  Finally, the wig screamed fake.  Not sure if it's the studio lights or what but the other line of wigs that QVC sells look much more real and natural, even under these lights, than Toni's did. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, true, for some reason it wasn't positioned right, and you are spot on, that more "vibrant" blonde didn't work with her rather delicate, quiet coloring.

Mary was so cute and excited at being able to finally fit into a wig.  If more time had been taken, ad the right color, etc., I think she could look super.  She has that round, sort of "lollipop" head that, interestingly, a number of actors/actresses and people who are successful on TV have. She reminds me of a lovely model in the Seventies who fit that description, Ingrid Boulting.

It's been theorized that this phenomenon of "show biz" slightly oversized noggins make them more "immediate" and compelliing to the audience.  I read a whole thing about it once! 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I flipped past QVC and saw Mary in a wig that looked horrible.  For one thing, the blonde color on Mary was bad.  Then the wig wasn't on her head correctly and looked a mess.  Finally, the wig screamed fake.  Not sure if it's the studio lights or what but the other line of wigs that QVC sells look much more real and natural, even under these lights, than Toni's did. 

I cringed for Mary, good sport of necessity. 

Shiny is shiny. Hair doesn’t look like that.  And am I the only one who thinks that dark roots on blonde hair has always looked like kwap, looks like kwap now and will always look like kwap? It looks like you need your roots done. Somewhere along the way, some women came to believe it looks either “natural”, or “cool & edgy” - depending on who they’re selling to. “Mix of shades” is fine; dark roots looks tacky.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Lipstickdiva, true, for some reason it wasn't positioned right, and you are spot on, that more "vibrant" blonde didn't work with her rather delicate, quiet coloring.

Mary was so cute and excited at being able to finally fit into a wig.  If more time had been taken, ad the right color, etc., I think she could look super.  She has that round, sort of "lollipop" head that, interestingly, a number of actors/actresses and people who are successful on TV have. She reminds me of a lovely model in the Seventies who fit that description, Ingrid Boulting.

It's been theorized that this phenomenon of "show biz" slightly oversized noggins make them more "immediate" and compelliing to the audience.  I read a whole thing about it once! 

@Oznell, your post made me giggle. I can only picture Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen in Burton’s Alice in Wonderland.

I adore Mary. There wouldn’t be anything about her I’d change.