Honored Contributor

Re: Toni Brattin & Her Hair Coming to QVC

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I flipped past QVC and saw Mary in a wig that looked horrible.  For one thing, the blonde color on Mary was bad.  Then the wig wasn't on her head correctly and looked a mess.  Finally, the wig screamed fake.  Not sure if it's the studio lights or what but the other line of wigs that QVC sells look much more real and natural, even under these lights, than Toni's did. 

I cringed for Mary, good sport of necessity. 

Shiny is shiny. Hair doesn’t look like that.  And am I the only one who thinks that dark roots on blonde hair has always looked like kwap, looks like kwap now and will always look like kwap? It looks like you need your roots done. Somewhere along the way, some women came to believe it looks either “natural”, or “cool & edgy” - depending on who they’re selling to. “Mix of shades” is fine; dark roots looks tacky.

I guess it depends on how dark the roots are and how blonde the rest of the hair is.  My roots were darker on my blonde hair.  Roots are always darker if your hair is naturally darker, which mine is.  I was born with fairly light blonde hair and when I look at pictures, my root area was always darker because my hair got bleached out from the sun, etc.  I've never been a fan of solid one color hair because it looks too flat to me and extremely unnatural.  No one's hair is one solid color. 

Many women who have their hair professionally colored brunette also have the root area done slightly darker for dimension. 

Honored Contributor

Such apt imagery, @Moonchilde!  You're right-- she IS adorable.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I flipped past QVC and saw Mary in a wig that looked horrible.  For one thing, the blonde color on Mary was bad.  Then the wig wasn't on her head correctly and looked a mess.  Finally, the wig screamed fake.  Not sure if it's the studio lights or what but the other line of wigs that QVC sells look much more real and natural, even under these lights, than Toni's did. 

I cringed for Mary, good sport of necessity. 

Shiny is shiny. Hair doesn’t look like that.  And am I the only one who thinks that dark roots on blonde hair has always looked like kwap, looks like kwap now and will always look like kwap? It looks like you need your roots done. Somewhere along the way, some women came to believe it looks either “natural”, or “cool & edgy” - depending on who they’re selling to. “Mix of shades” is fine; dark roots looks tacky.

I guess it depends on how dark the roots are and how blonde the rest of the hair is.  My roots were darker on my blonde hair.  Roots are always darker if your hair is naturally darker, which mine is.  I was born with fairly light blonde hair and when I look at pictures, my root area was always darker because my hair got bleached out from the sun, etc.  I've never been a fan of solid one color hair because it looks too flat to me and extremely unnatural.  No one's hair is one solid color. 

Many women who have their hair professionally colored brunette also have the root area done slightly darker for dimension. 

@Lipstickdiva, for most of my life, until maybe the last 15 years, when someone decided to “go blonde”, they went as blonde at the roots as they did at the ends.

That was considered natural, as natural blondes as in Scandinavian, etc were blonde all the way to their roots. And the ideal was to keep their hair looking that way as much as possible. Yes, as your hair grew your roots got darker and started to show - but women tried to keep that stage to a minimum as it was considered an undesirable look.

I know that at some point, someone decided that the grown-out look was “more realistic” and it became a Thing to do deliberately. Today, dark roots on blonde hair are a fashion statement, and I get that, and to each their own. I’m just saying it doesn’t appeal to me as a ‘genuine’ look.

But I also understand that today, there’s a different POV altogether as far as coloring hair. For most of my life it’s been about looking “real” for the most part, but it no longer is about looking real. Example - it’s always been a point to have shades of dyed red hair look like it was natural. Today more women walk around with magenta hair than auburn red, and magenta is the color they want.

For me, personally, I don’t like very dark roots with pale ends; I just don’t like the look. I think, as you say, slightly darker works. But I didn’t find Toni’s wig “slightly” darker, but rather, too much; it wasn’t subtle to me.

Multi-shaded hair, however, is something all natural hair is by default, and I agree that one-shade dyed hair looks flat (and fake). Putting highlights and different shades into a wig is a good thing - IF it’s done skillfully.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

@Moonchilde

@Oznell

I don't know if you ladies were watching the same presentation I was but I think maybe you were.  I tuned in and was more than surprised when I saw Mary with that (at that time) ill-fitting wig.  She then took it off and did a great job of demonstrating how to properly place the wig on your own head and it did look a bit better until they turned to the models and it got worse.  They had time to prepare for their air time but yikes for me it didn't help the sell at all as a couple of them looked like someone surprised them that they needed to be on the air and just slapped it on their head.

Please know I didn't watch the whole presentation so I am sure there were better highlights but when I was watching, ouch!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

@Moonchilde

@Oznell

I don't know if you ladies were watching the same presentation I was but I think maybe you were.  I tuned in and was more than surprised when I saw Mary with that (at that time) ill-fitting wig.  She then took it off and did a great job of demonstrating how to properly place the wig on your own head and it did look a bit better until they turned to the models and it got worse.  They had time to prepare for their air time but yikes for me it didn't help the sell at all as a couple of them looked like someone surprised them that they needed to be on the air and just slapped it on their head.

Please know I didn't watch the whole presentation so I am sure there were better highlights but when I was watching, ouch!

@momtochloe, part of Toni Brattin’s schtick has always been that you just shake, plop & finger-fix, and that her wigs are done so perfectly that they don’t need styling - they’re all supposed to look good on everyone without you having to do anything to/with them. I disagree that’s so with any wig.

The style has to fit the face shape, the amount of hair in the wig should at least come reasonably close to the person’s natural hair amount, and yes, people have different-sized heads necessitating different-sized wigs.

I didn’t watch the whole presentation because to me it was same-old wigs, same-old presentation and same-old Toni, so I have limited interest. But I watched enough to see different styles, and poor Mary.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Tee hee @Moonchilde I totally get that Toni's wigs are supposed to be plop and go but the one model (she is one of QVC's most beautiful models that has a very angular bone structure, Colleen?) and when she first came on camera her wig was completely off keel and (again for me) she kept vamping at the camera and I just wanted to say to her I think you better check your look in your monitor . . . . yikes!

Honored Contributor

Darn, I missed all but three minutes of the show.  A model was wearing a light grey, 'spiked upward' style wig.  And I do believe the host had one on that wasn't properly positioned.  I just figured that it was the end of the show, or a rushed, second presentation of a recently-presented-wig-style segment.  Well, maybe next time I'll catch the entire show.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Does any know why Qvc and HSN do not sell bright red wigs?  You cannot find a red wig on qvc.  If they have red wigs it is usually a dark brown red, and not a true red.  Look. No reds🙀🤔😫😾

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

If I am not mistaken Toni was on QVC a number of years ago and that was when I saw her for the first time.  She has been on Evine for the last several years and now back to QVC.  Her wigs look okay, never bought one but they certainly are priced right and for those who cannot afford more high priced wigs I would say go for it.  Sometimes we have to do what we have to do in order to get through some tough times and if wearing a wig that won't break the bank than that is what we do.

@Lindsays Grandma, she was on HSN for years, then went to Evine and now to QVC.  I'm guessing her next stop will be Shop LC.

I had her clip in extensions and I had a "toni pony."  They looked much better in person then they did on air. I think the studio lights make the hair look way too shiney.  I personally never cared for the style of her full wigs.

Thanks for correcting me, that is why I started my post with "If I am not mistaken", I was.Woman Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam