Respected Contributor

Tomorrow 7/16 is Guinea Pig appreciation day, World Snake Day and

its also Toss away the "Could haves" and "should haves" day !

On July 16, people across America celebrate Guinea Pig Appreciation Day to pay tribute to these cuddly lovable pets that stole the hearts of thousands of people. Yes, these furballs are friendly pocket pets that can prove to be one of the best companions if treated right. And guess what? These pets are super social, too. If you haven’t ever had the chance to spend a day with a guinea pig, now is the time to give it a shot. We assure you, the experience will be memorable. Get in touch with an animal shelter or rescue in your area to learn about these huggable creatures.

Toss Away the ‘Could Haves’ and ‘Should Haves’ Day is celebrated across the United States on the third Saturday in July. This year, it falls on July 16 .This day was created by author and motivational speaker Martha J. Ross-Rodgers to encourage people to let go of the past and live in the present. To celebrate, get a piece of paper and a pen, jot down your regrets and then toss it out or burn it. Make a resolution not to live in the past. Your best years are ahead of you, so why give up now?

I have nothing to say about World snake day except that I hate snakes !   I don't have or want a Guinea Pig but I do think they are cute little characters. I do have a few things to let go of so I'm going to jot them down and burn the paper, never to live in the past again and look forward to better years to come !  Anybody else tossing out some regrets ?  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Tomorrow 7/16 is Guinea Pig appreciation day, World Snake Day and

just alerting @mistriTsquirrel since she is a guinea pig parent  8)

Honored Contributor

Best pet I ever had as a child. 🥰🥰🥰🥰 crazy smart and I adored her. I still think of her often. 💕
Respected Contributor

Many years ago, hub came home to our apartment with a box containing a long haired peruvian guinea pig. A man at a truck stop was going to put her into the woods as his sister didn't want the poor little thing any more. Right away he took her...

I was thrilled. Gizmo was the sweetest thing! She used to run around the apartment happily and was very affectionate, burrowing into hub's chest.

We brought her with us when we moved of course and had her over five years until she passed. She was great company and we still talk about her today over 30 years later. She was our first and sweetly remembered fur child.

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  My two little guinea pigs, Ginger and Teddi,  thank you for sharing the info about Guinea Pig appreciation day.  They feel like it should be everyday but still they thank you for remembering them.  

Guinea Pigs are precious little animals and unfortunately they are also some of the most mistreated.  I've worked in guinea pig rescue and it's heartbreaking how many of them are purchased and disposed of when the kids become tired of them.  

The op started such a lovely post so I promise I won't get on my soapbox about parents and people in general who treat these sweet and gentle souls with such callous abandon.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a great thread!!

Thank you @feline groovy  for tagging me. 💜

We celebrate Guinea Pig Appreciation Day here by watching G-Force and other movies my piggos love to watch, and they get their favorite treats and lots of scratches behind the ears and back rubs...so...just a normal day at home. 😄  

When is Guinea Pig Mom Appreciation Day?  I could use a back rub.  

Guinea Pig Appreciation Day - July 16, 2021 - Happy Days 365

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

As a child, I had an adorable Guinea Pig named Fran. She sure made her presence known for such a small package.

How she could squeal when it was feeding time. I could hear her half an acre away.

Many things have triggered my memories of little Fran over the decades. She was worthy of an appreciation day. 

Valued Contributor

I have no experience with Guinea Pigs but I'm thinking maybe I need one. I live with a dog, but it is not mine and I've been wanting a little pet for myself for a while now.  I was thinking a cat, but perhaps a cute little Piggie would make my day 🥰

Honored Contributor

I wonder who makes up all these "<<fill in the blank>> World Days".

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

3 years ago my teacher daughter thought Guinea pigs would be a great addition to her Special Ed classroom.  Of course the students loved them and willingly participated in their care.   

However, teacher daughter didn't think about where these precious little rodents would live on weekends and holidays!  Of course they came here, and NEVER returned to the classroom!   

In the last few years, we lost our 3 chinchillas and a dog.  We have one senior dog left outside. At 66 and 71, my husband and I are past the pet stage and not looking to add more responsibility to our lives.  We tolerate the Guinea pigs; change their pads and feed them when daughter is away, but would prefer our house be pet free.  

@Linda0215 

If you are looking for a calm pet, I can see guinea pigs being a good pet for you.  They like to be held often and particularly like to be on your chest or near your neck where they hear your heartbeats.  Ours do shed a lot.

The ones here nice and quiet until they hear the rustle of a grocery bag, or smell vegetables being peeled or chopped, and then the whistling starts.   They are messy!  Piddle pads get changed 2x a day here, but you can never stay ahead of the pee and poop.  

One thing to remember with guinea pigs is they have no depth perception; they will walk right off open shelves in tiered cages, or off couches, etc., so they need a one level cage or space set up on the floor for their living quarters.  The guinea pigs here have always been part of a group, but we have at times isolated each of them and they have been completely satisfied on their own.   

Choosing between hamsters and guinea pigs, I would choose a guinea pig, but to choose between a chinchilla and a guinea pig, I would choose chinchilla!