Honored Contributor

Re: Tom Petty’s daughter — “he performed in pain”

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Why would someone suffer like that and not have hip replacement surgery  or whatever surgery is needed?  That is my question.  I have had both hips replaced and it was so easy.. home the next day and walking about with no pain at all right after surgery.  And he certainly could afford the best surgeon  and medical care  there is .

To rely on drugs to fix pain that bad that he could have just fixed with hip surgery was just foolish.  Why did someone not step in and tell him that he was over doing it?   I think he did use the drugs  to the point of addiction.  That is how most people in pain become addicted... start to fix the pain... and keep using more and more to get the same results and good feeling the drugs give.  It is a vicious cycle.

No two people feel the same concerning pain @SeaMaiden, what was a breeze and easy for you was not the case here! My C-section was a piece of cake but that doesn't mean another woman didn't sufferer badly from hers.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@DianeFM wrote:

Thanks to my concert loving older daughter, I was fortunate to go see Tom Petty a couple years ago.  He gave a wonderful performance.  I noticed he was wearing ugg type boots, and at the time thought it was a little peculiar.  Hinesight, was probably  most comfortable for him, since he was on his feet the whole time, and suffering from a fractured hip.

Ugg boots are pretty common here in california.  He is from the beach area in socal, uggs are popular.  Might be comfy for him as well

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw Tom Petty in the 40th Anniversary tour in Dallas.  He did not make some of is old moves and he slightly tripped a few times that I had seen in all of his previous concerts.   However, no one would suspect that anything was wrong at that concert. I really enjoyed the concert and he appeared to be very happy and smiled alot.  

I am very sad to know that he used so many medications which ultimately led to his untimely death.  His fans would have understood if the concert was delayed.  

His daughter was defending her father as a child would.   It is so sad.  

He was one of my very favorite performers and I find myself still grieving him.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCPhobe  to think he could still be here and all the great music we lost is heartbreaking.  I still miss Glen  Frey too.

Esteemed Contributor

He had multiple opioids and other drugs in his system at the time of death. Here's my question: if you are hurt and in that much pain, why would you try to cover it by loading up on drugs. WHY WOULDN'T YOU HAVE THE SURGERY, GO THROUGH PT AND RECOVERY AND GET BACK TO YOUR CAREER WHEN YOU ARE FIT AND ABLE???? They ALL think they can beat the roulette wheel and take short cuts. He'd be alive today had he done what most logical people would have done.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Why would someone suffer like that and not have hip replacement surgery  or whatever surgery is needed?  That is my question.  I have had both hips replaced and it was so easy.. home the next day and walking about with no pain at all right after surgery.  And he certainly could afford the best surgeon  and medical care  there is .

To rely on drugs to fix pain that bad that he could have just fixed with hip surgery was just foolish.  Why did someone not step in and tell him that he was over doing it?   I think he did use the drugs  to the point of addiction.  That is how most people in pain become addicted... start to fix the pain... and keep using more and more to get the same results and good feeling the drugs give.  It is a vicious cycle.

Wasn't Prince on this same rollercoaster too?

Prince wouldn't have his needed hip surgery for religious reasons- he couldn't have a blood transfusion. But yet all those drugs were okay? ! Woman Frustrated

The only reason I can think of Tom not having his hip surgery is the desire to continue opiod use for a 'legitimate' reason. It's not uncommon with recovering addicts. Woman Mad

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

No two people feel the same concerning pain @SeaMaiden, what was a breeze and easy for you was not the case here! My C-section was a piece of cake but that doesn't mean another woman didn't suffered badly from hers.

I don't get what you're saying. He already had enough pain to be over medicating himself for that pain. Are you saying that he was right in taking all those drugs instead of just having the surgery, dealing with that pain, and then healing????

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Prince wouldn't have his needed hip surgery for religious reasons- he couldn't have a blood transfusion. But yet all those drugs were okay? ! Woman Frustrated

The only reason I can think of Tom not having his hip surgery is the desire to continue opiod use for a 'legitimate' reason. It's not uncommon with recovering addicts. Woman Mad

Why would he have had to have a blood transfusion with hip surgery? I have friends who had hip susrgery. They didn't have blood transfusions. I've had two abdominal surgeries and major back surgery, and I didn't have any blood tranfusions. 

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Why would he have had to have a blood transfusion with hip surgery? I have friends who had hip susrgery. They didn't have blood transfusions. I've had two abdominal surgeries and major back surgery, and I didn't have any blood tranfusions. 

Sounds like made up stories these men used to get doctors to give them the pains meds....don't know that I believe any of that stuff with Prince or Petty and his hip.  And if they both did have issues needing surgery so they could be pain free then the scripts for pain killers would dry up so WHY bother?  It was all about getting the drugs that's what I think.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

No two people feel the same concerning pain @SeaMaiden, what was a breeze and easy for you was not the case here! My C-section was a piece of cake but that doesn't mean another woman didn't suffered badly from hers.

I don't get what you're saying. He already had enough pain to be over medicating himself for that pain. Are you saying that he was right in taking all those drugs instead of just having the surgery, dealing with that pain, and then healing????

@RainCityWomanaddicts and ex addicts have a low tolerance for pain which cause them to use more pain killers to ease their pain.  What I was saying in my earlier post is that no two people have the exact level of discomfort when it comes to illness or injury so it's not fair to compare. 

I personally have a high pain tolerance and can get by with over the counter drugs, others are the complete opposite.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson