Honored Contributor

Tom Petty’s daughter — “he performed in pain”

Don’t know why this surfaced today... Tom Petty’s daughter, Adria, defends against his being labeled a “drug addict.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-petty-death-report-daughter-comment/

I did not know he was performing with a broken hip?

below: “The Traveling Wilburys”

272B2517-DC70-4B2F-AEEC-D8B5E0CCF888.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

Re: Tom Petty’s daughter — “he performed in pain”

Thanks to my concert loving older daughter, I was fortunate to go see Tom Petty a couple years ago.  He gave a wonderful performance.  I noticed he was wearing ugg type boots, and at the time thought it was a little peculiar.  Hinesight, was probably  most comfortable for him, since he was on his feet the whole time, and suffering from a fractured hip.

Esteemed Contributor

This makes me so sad.

I loved Tom Petty.

Yes, that fact that he was performing with a broken hip on his last tour came out after his death last October.

He wanted to complete the tour. He was one of the best.

Still listen to his music and always will.

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely adored Tom Petty.  I was fortunate to see him numerous times over the years, even in a couple of small venues.  I was about 19 years old the first time I saw him, he was just getting known.   So sad that he lost his life this way.  You never know how medicine is going to affect your system.  These types of deaths happen more than people realize.  I don't believe he was a druggie, he was an incredible genious. We're all getting older and have pain , and if needed take something to relieve that pain.   God be with his family.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal@threecees@DianeFM

Hi ladies, I loved his music too.

Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s, I perceived no health issues in my beloved star musicians. I thought how can this be?

Although never tempted to take drugs, still it made me question my perceptions. I thought maybe these stars were fooling me? Maybe they claimed they were druggies because it was supposed to be “cool.” (?)

In the last decade, I believe we may be seeing some of the consequences of chancey life styles. It does break my heart.

Glenn Frey’s biography shown on tv, mentioned REFRIGERATORS full of cocaine! My I was saddened and shocked. So, I will teach my children and grandchildren well and stick to my beliefs that one pays a price when abusing their body.

Still, I believe also that my musical heroes are gifted — they each have strengths in their chosen field.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I realize losing a father is hard.

She’s processing it in the only way she knows how, but...

it’s unfortunate she’s lashing out like this. She could’ve made such an

impact...positive impact, but she decided to go a different route.

“Petty's daughter AnnaKim has reached out to fans to stress that, in her eyes, her father was not addicted to opioids.”

Dear AnnaKim,

Yes, your father was a heroin addict in the 90’s.

Some might call that a drug addict.

And yes, it might be difficult to accept, but when someone dies of a

multiple-drug mixture, in your own home, there’s a greater than

zero chance he was addicted to opioids.  

The reason for the overdose is irrelevant.

Signed,

Tom Petty fans

—————————

My cynical side’s saying...she’s dealing with his estate &

the difference between ‘addiction’ & ‘requirement’

is a cool 7-8+ figure number. She’s laying the groundwork 

for a lengthy legal battle.

Respected Contributor

I was lucky enough to see him five times live.  One of the best shows ever every time.  He was my "free pass".  When anyone asks, "where is Karen?", the response is always, she left with that blond guy from Florida.

RIP, Tom.  Thank you for your music...

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Why would someone suffer like that and not have hip replacement surgery  or whatever surgery is needed?  That is my question.  I have had both hips replaced and it was so easy.. home the next day and walking about with no pain at all right after surgery.  And he certainly could afford the best surgeon  and medical care  there is .

To rely on drugs to fix pain that bad that he could have just fixed with hip surgery was just foolish.  Why did someone not step in and tell him that he was over doing it?   I think he did use the drugs  to the point of addiction.  That is how most people in pain become addicted... start to fix the pain... and keep using more and more to get the same results and good feeling the drugs give.  It is a vicious cycle.

Esteemed Contributor

I read the list of drugs found in his system.  One was a designer drug, a type of fentanyl that is illegal, I believe.  I wonder if the same doctor was prescribing all the drugs or there were many doctors involved. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Why would someone suffer like that and not have hip replacement surgery  or whatever surgery is needed?  That is my question.  I have had both hips replaced and it was so easy.. home the next day and walking about with no pain at all right after surgery.  And he certainly could afford the best surgeon  and medical care  there is .

To rely on drugs to fix pain that bad that he could have just fixed with hip surgery was just foolish.  Why did someone not step in and tell him that he was over doing it?   I think he did use the drugs  to the point of addiction.  That is how most people in pain become addicted... start to fix the pain... and keep using more and more to get the same results and good feeling the drugs give.  It is a vicious cycle.

Wasn't Prince on this same rollercoaster too?