Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tom Petty’s daughter — “he performed in pain”

I believe he was in pain and I find it sad and terrible that he is gone!. What gets me mad is, I had read he was on oxycontin (or oxycodone) AND fentanyl. I go to a pain Dr since 2001 for my badly damaged spine (that has numerous issues showiing up on an MRI and metal plates in my spine from surgery).. My pain Dr. would NEVER prescribe those 2 medications together! I think IF these drugs that people die from are prescribed legally, the Dr. who did should be held accountable. 

I am on lower doses of pain meds than the above and I am monitored constantly with urine samples to prove I don't over take the medications, and MRIs evey other year, and I get back injections 4X a year so I don't have to take the pain meds when the shots work.

So some of these Drs are over prescribing and yeah they should get in trouble! So I beleive her, that he was in pain, but I also beleive he took too many pills that shouldnt have been taken together! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Why would someone suffer like that and not have hip replacement surgery  or whatever surgery is needed?  That is my question.  I have had both hips replaced and it was so easy.. home the next day and walking about with no pain at all right after surgery.  And he certainly could afford the best surgeon  and medical care  there is .

To rely on drugs to fix pain that bad that he could have just fixed with hip surgery was just foolish.  Why did someone not step in and tell him that he was over doing it?   I think he did use the drugs  to the point of addiction.  That is how most people in pain become addicted... start to fix the pain... and keep using more and more to get the same results and good feeling the drugs give.  It is a vicious cycle.

Wasn't Prince on this same rollercoaster too?

Prince wouldn't have his needed hip surgery for religious reasons- he couldn't have a blood transfusion. But yet all those drugs were okay? ! Woman Frustrated

The only reason I can think of Tom not having his hip surgery is the desire to continue opiod use for a 'legitimate' reason. It's not uncommon with recovering addicts. Woman Mad

Why would he have had to have a blood transfusion with hip surgery? I have friends who had hip susrgery. They didn't have blood transfusions. I've had two abdominal surgeries and major back surgery, and I didn't have any blood tranfusions. 

Even the chance he would need a blood transfusion- kept Prince from getting needed surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Why would someone suffer like that and not have hip replacement surgery  or whatever surgery is needed?  That is my question.  I have had both hips replaced and it was so easy.. home the next day and walking about with no pain at all right after surgery.  And he certainly could afford the best surgeon  and medical care  there is .

To rely on drugs to fix pain that bad that he could have just fixed with hip surgery was just foolish.  Why did someone not step in and tell him that he was over doing it?   I think he did use the drugs  to the point of addiction.  That is how most people in pain become addicted... start to fix the pain... and keep using more and more to get the same results and good feeling the drugs give.  It is a vicious cycle.

Wasn't Prince on this same rollercoaster too?

Prince wouldn't have his needed hip surgery for religious reasons- he couldn't have a blood transfusion. But yet all those drugs were okay? ! Woman Frustrated

The only reason I can think of Tom not having his hip surgery is the desire to continue opiod use for a 'legitimate' reason. It's not uncommon with recovering addicts. Woman Mad

Why would he have had to have a blood transfusion with hip surgery? I have friends who had hip susrgery. They didn't have blood transfusions. I've had two abdominal surgeries and major back surgery, and I didn't have any blood tranfusions. 

Sounds like made up stories these men used to get doctors to give them the pains meds....don't know that I believe any of that stuff with Prince or Petty and his hip.  And if they both did have issues needing surgery so they could be pain free then the scripts for pain killers would dry up so WHY bother?  It was all about getting the drugs that's what I think.

It's addicts - and/or recovering addicts- subconsciously putting themselves in situations where the drugs are 'needed'. I remember Dr Drew discussing this when 'Celebrity Rehab' was on the air. It made a lot of sense, in a dysfunctional kinda way.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

I believe he was in pain and I find it sad and terrible that he is gone!. What gets me mad is, I had read he was on oxycontin (or oxycodone) AND fentanyl. I go to a pain Dr since 2001 for my badly damaged spine (that has numerous issues showiing up on an MRI and metal plates in my spine from surgery).. My pain Dr. would NEVER prescribe those 2 medications together! I think IF these drugs that people die from are prescribed legally, the Dr. who did should be held accountable. 

I am on lower doses of pain meds than the above and I am monitored constantly with urine samples to prove I don't over take the medications, and MRIs evey other year, and I get back injections 4X a year so I don't have to take the pain meds when the shots work.

So some of these Drs are over prescribing and yeah they should get in trouble! So I beleive her, that he was in pain, but I also beleive he took too many pills that shouldnt have been taken together! 

My understanding was that is the way fentanyl is prescribed, along with another opioid, and only if you are already opioid tolerant.

Honored Contributor

Well it's sad either way.

Whether he was truly in a lot of pain, but had *the show must go on* attitude. 

Or if he was taking pain medication and got addicted.

Either way, he's dead and gone now.

I was so sad to see that Roy Halliday (ball player) had all sorts of drugs in him--and flying a plane---right into the water.  Dead and gone.

It can and does happen.  People overdo the pain pills, whether they need them.  Or they just want to end it all.

Trusted Contributor

I am a Tom Petty lover too! He is one of my all time favorites & always will be! I cried when I read he past, it isWoman Sad so sad loosing such a great talent! 

Trusted Contributor

Did u know Tom Petty personally? If so, LUCKY YOU! He is & always will be one of my favs!!!