I'm learning to fly

but I ain't got wings

Coming down

is the hardest thing

God speed, Tom Petty.

Super Contributor

Re: Tom Petty Has Passed Away

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

The news of his passing struck me pretty hard and I'm not sure why exactly.  I loved his music and he left such a legacy.  In the car this morning I turned on the radio and they were playing "Learning to Fly" and I just started crying.

And I just looked up his discography and started crying again.

RIP, Tom Petty. 

@QueenDanceALot  We've seen the passing of a lot of great artists in the past several months/years, and each was a tremendous loss.

Something feels different for me about this one, and I think I figured it out today. Tom Petty's music hit my life around the same time I was really just starting to live. No longer a child but not a wisened adult....somewhere in that wonderland in between where every emotion still felt particularly deep and powerful, and song lyrics and their meanings could resonate to the bone.

He was such a gifted writer, and that is a talent that I have immense respect for. His performances were just so....honest....a little thread bare at times....but he hit all the right notes with the person I was becoming. 

If I could have hearted your post a dozen times I would have. Sharing the tears with you my friend.

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Honored Contributor

@catchersmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

The news of his passing struck me pretty hard and I'm not sure why exactly.  I loved his music and he left such a legacy.  In the car this morning I turned on the radio and they were playing "Learning to Fly" and I just started crying.

And I just looked up his discography and started crying again.

RIP, Tom Petty. 

@QueenDanceALot  We've seen the passing of a lot of great artists in the past several months/years, and each was a tremendous loss.

Something feels different for me about this one, and I think I figured it out today. Tom Petty's music hit my life around the same time I was really just starting to live. No longer a child but not a wisened adult....somewhere in that wonderland in between where every emotion still felt particularly deep and powerful, and song lyrics and their meanings could resonate to the bone.

He was such a gifted writer, and that is a talent that I have immense respect for. His performances were just so....honest....a little thread bare at times....but he hit all the right notes with the person I was becoming. 

If I could have hearted your post a dozen times I would have. Sharing the tears with you my friend.

@catchersmom

Thank you!

He was a poet.  He was authentic.  He broke my heart.

xoxo

Honored Contributor

Tom Petty fans might enjoy this.

http://performingsongwriter.com/tom-petty-songs/

Esteemed Contributor

"I think I have every CD Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers ever made, but one of my most favorite CDs with Tom is when he helped form the supergroup 'The Traveling WIlburys' in 1980's.

It featured Tom, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeffrey Lynne and Roy Orbison." @KingstonsMom

Tom Petty was an amazing talent on his own so having him work with greats like Dylan, Harrison, Lynne and Orbison was just amazing. The Traveling Wilbury's music was fun.

My favorite was an odd and funny song called "Tweeter and the Monkey Man." For one thing no one tells a story like Dylan and this is no exception, but the idea of Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and George Harrison sitting around, discussing  titles of Springsteen songs, and writing lyrics incorporating them as a tribute to him gives me chills. Imagine so much musical talent all in one room! 

My favorite memory of Tom Petty is from years back when my husband surprised me for my birthday with tickets to see him perform at the Hollywood Bowl. We got there early, it was a beautiful night, and we drove to the parking lot at the very top of the hill. We were sitting there when suddenly we heard strains of music floating up from the amphitheater as the band did sound check. I'm not sure why, maybe because it was so unexpected, but it felt so special. I'll always remember it.

Tom Petty gave us so much by sharing his special gift. I'm so grateful he did and he will be missed by so many. 

Respected Contributor

Incredibly sad news. His songs are so intertwined with my memories of my preteen and teen years. I had a major crush on him when I was very young. My fav song was Here Comes My Girl. RIP Tom 😞

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

"I think I have every CD Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers ever made, but one of my most favorite CDs with Tom is when he helped form the supergroup 'The Traveling WIlburys' in 1980's.

It featured Tom, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeffrey Lynne and Roy Orbison." @KingstonsMom

Tom Petty was an amazing talent on his own so having him work with greats like Dylan, Harrison, Lynne and Orbison was just amazing. The Traveling Wilbury's music was fun.

My favorite was an odd and funny song called "Tweeter and the Monkey Man." For one thing no one tells a story like Dylan and this is no exception, but the idea of Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and George Harrison sitting around, discussing  titles of Springsteen songs, and writing lyrics incorporating them as a tribute to him gives me chills. Imagine so much musical talent all in one room! 

My favorite memory of Tom Petty is from years back when my husband surprised me for my birthday with tickets to see him perform at the Hollywood Bowl. We got there early, it was a beautiful night, and we drove to the parking lot at the very top of the hill. We were sitting there when suddenly we heard strains of music floating up from the amphitheater as the band did sound check. I'm not sure why, maybe because it was so unexpected, but it felt so special. I'll always remember it.

Tom Petty gave us so much by sharing his special gift. I'm so grateful he did and he will be missed by so many. 

@SusieQ_2

LOL! Tweeter and the Monkey Man is a favorite of mine from that album!

But I also love the other songs too, I know every word of all of them, that's how often I play it and it's the first CD in our player!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

LOVE Tom Petty.  RIP  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom,  I was hoping I wasn't the only one who loves that crazy song! I liked it the minute I heard it, but knowing the background of how it came to be made me love it even more. 

Thanks for posting, I feel like we now share a musical bond. Smiley Happy

And to everyone who shared about their favorite song, how his songs made them feel, and provided links, it's been a comfort to read and share. Wherever he is tonight I hope he's smiling knowing how much his music means to so many people. Heart 

Esteemed Contributor

Tom's lyrics were simple and uncomplicated- but they spoke to you. A true poet.