Valued Contributor

@prisrob wrote:

No one would believe them 20 years ago. Lauer etc were well known , big money behind them. Look at Cosby, no one believed all those women until many women started speaking up. The times and culture are changing.

Blaming the victim/women is cowardly, we need to support women. 

Apparenlty most of these cases in the me too# were open secrets I am sure they would have believed them -everyone already knew about most of these men-they just may not have done anything about it. But the nobody would have believed them was an excuse-maybe if they had all spoken something would have actually been done them instead of now-oh wait they weren't successful yet-

all the women who came forward in Hollyood all did so once they were untouchable and reached certain heights in their careers-none went to different careers and said this is too seedy for me-

the casting couch has been around forever EVERYONE knows that

does it make it right? No but its certainly not shocking....

to anyone in or out of that business for sure

Valued Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Sure hope little George Stepanopulus hasn't reason to worry

Woman LOLSmiley LOL

George Stephanopoulos’ wife is still talking about their Hot Sex life!  Woman LOL

George Stephanopoulos and Ali Wentworth have been married for more than 16 years — and they can’t keep their hands off each other. Wentworth reveals that she has lost friends who were jealous of her healthy sex life. Back in 1997, Wentworth, 53, boasted that she and the journalist, 57, are intimate twice a day. Woman LOL

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2018/04/24/george-stephanopoulos-wife-is-still-talking-abo...

People who talk that much about their sex lives have something to prove-and of course she lost frineds if she talks it about it that much -who wants to listen to that? Its not jelaousy it sounds like they didnt want to hear all the bs...

why the need to discuss it anyway? Thats a problem in itself in my opinion

Esteemed Contributor

I feel RIGHT OF WAY is the thing to do.  I am suspicious of waiting all these years and THEN.  Now that it is Popular to inform I think it takes the credibility away from those who are in real danger more recently. And the climate has changed.  Those who benefited from not speaking... those who became famous because of what they allowed to happen... I really have very little respect for.  Just my way of thinking. 

My motto... speak up NOW and don't wait for the bandwagon.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@RainCityWoman  I guess I am very lucky because I had that as a child.  My parents both worked, and I often accompanied them when they were doing business around town.  I learned what it was to behave in a business-like manner, I learned how to deal with conflict on a professional basis, I learned that people are people regardless of race or gender.

I can say that I was NEVER harassed at work. I think unless something is terribly wrong, it takes TWO.  It takes one to initiate inappropriate behavior and one to respond to it.  I don't think most men are sexual predators.  At least not where I  live they aren't.  If someone had behaved inappropriately toward me it would have stopped in a hot second.

BUt fortunate as I was, I was treated as a peer, colleague, friend, and valued part of the office.  In other words, like everyone else who worked hard.

It saddens me that now women may be viewed as a dangerous person in the workplace, and people to be tiptoed around and avoided.   I think women have just suffered a great loss of status.   Not because of the true cases of abuse, but because of the "me too" hysteria. 

The above falls into the "count your blessings and don't be quick to discount the experiences of others" category. 

jmo

I kind of feel the same way, Though it has never happened to me, I am fully aware of the fact that men in charge have done things through the years with no repercussions. The apologists need to recognize that. I also see  in some cases, the Me Too movement has had somewhat of a bandwagon effect. I hope that both men and women have been listening carefully and recognize the seriousness of all allegations made and the behavior  that provoked it.  It cuts both ways, pretty much. Just because I've been able to assess and avoid troublesome situations, doesn't mean everyone can. Each person reacts differently to sets of circumstances. I don't understand people who are suddenly so worried about what accusations do to the men accused, but they seem not to understand what the men's behavior has done to the women. It's a complicated issue for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

i am so over this.

until we take control of our own selves, others can do anything to us.

tons of threads just on this site where women let others control.  ie money, jobs, homes, etc.

the continued ability to blame others and the world for anything we do or happens to us makes for a joyless life.

take charge.  take personal responsibility.  live a good life.  we own it.  no one else.   no matter the stories or excuses we tell ourselves.

And when you take charge, take personal responsibility, you have to be prepared to give up a job here and there. Whistle blowers often are the ones punished for "taking charge" of a situation. That's just the cold reality.

Esteemed Contributor

@JobGirl wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Sure hope little George Stepanopulus hasn't reason to worry

Woman LOLSmiley LOL

George Stephanopoulos’ wife is still talking about their Hot Sex life!  Woman LOL

George Stephanopoulos and Ali Wentworth have been married for more than 16 years — and they can’t keep their hands off each other. Wentworth reveals that she has lost friends who were jealous of her healthy sex life. Back in 1997, Wentworth, 53, boasted that she and the journalist, 57, are intimate twice a day. Woman LOL

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2018/04/24/george-stephanopoulos-wife-is-still-talking-abo...

People who talk that much about their sex lives have something to prove-and of course she lost frineds if she talks it about it that much -who wants to listen to that? Its not jelaousy it sounds like they didnt want to hear all the bs...

why the need to discuss it anyway? Thats a problem in itself in my opinion

Alexandra is a comedian. Usually whatever she says is outrageous and is ended with a punchline. I take that report with a grain of salt. Given the many irons Geroge has in the fire at one time and the amount of work he does, I am dubious that her claims are anything but Aly being Ay. When would he have the time?

Frequent Contributor

Me too.  And by that I mean I put a stop to it immediately, right at the source.  First time I was eighteen.  Happened a couple of times later at other jobs.  I always put a stop to it right away.  Scared, but could not allow that.  Btw, back in the day I wore a 32dd bra with a 21 inch waist. I never wore tight clothes, but had guys  tried to "cop a feel" outside I Magnin in SF and many other places.  My brothers said I had the fasted elbows in the west.

I understand women with families to support, but these women who wanted to be in a movie or on tv and are now "coming forward", I just don't buy it.  Especially if it supposedly happened years ago.  Perhaps it happened then and then the perpetrator learned better and has not done it since.  Should he - or she - have to pay now?  I am not saying, don't say anything, but perhaps call them or write a letter and tell them how they made you feel. How it affected your life.  No need to call lawyers, the press, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@LiveLaughLove wrote:

Me too.  And by that I mean I put a stop to it immediately, right at the source.  First time I was eighteen.  Happened a couple of times later at other jobs.  I always put a stop to it right away.  Scared, but could not allow that.  Btw, back in the day I wore a 32dd bra with a 21 inch waist. I never wore tight clothes, but had guys  tried to "cop a feel" outside I Magnin in SF and many other places.  My brothers said I had the fasted elbows in the west.

I understand women with families to support, but these women who wanted to be in a movie or on tv and are now "coming forward", I just don't buy it.  Especially if it supposedly happened years ago.  Perhaps it happened then and then the perpetrator learned better and has not done it since.  Should he - or she - have to pay now?  I am not saying, don't say anything, but perhaps call them or write a letter and tell them how they made you feel. How it affected your life.  No need to call lawyers, the press, etc.

In other words, encourage them to continue their behavior with others? You DO realize that this kind of behavior occurs outside of the HOllywood crew, don't you?

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@LiveLaughLove wrote:

In other words, encourage them to continue their behavior with others? You DO realize that this kind of behavior occurs outside of the HOllywood crew, don't you?

@RainCityWoman, I commend you for "taking charge" here and promoting what I think is a sensible and empathetic point of view. You don't come across as some wild-eyed man hater but as someone who knows better than to use cliches when talking about the issue of how women are treated in the workplace (and elsewhere as well). 

It is an issue the cries out for understanding that every woman's situation is different rather than for a corollary to the hackneyed just pull yourself up by your bootstraps advice.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@LiveLaughLove wrote:

@RainCityWoman, I commend you for "taking charge" here and promoting what I think is a sensible and empathetic point of view. You don't come across as some wild-eyed man hater but as someone who knows better than to use cliches when talking about the issue of how women are treated in the workplace (and elsewhere as well). 

It is an issue the cries out for understanding that every woman's situation is different rather than for a corollary to the hackneyed just pull yourself up by your bootstraps advice.

Well, thank you. Quite often I am reamed out for not having the prevailing forum opinion. All I am saying is each case for men and for women is unique in its own way. Damage is done on one side or the other.