Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@fourpaws56 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Sure hope little George Stepanopulus hasn't reason to worry

I bet 99.9 % of men are worried.....

Sure they are because someone can accuse you no matter how innocent you are and your life, career and family are ruined.  Guilty by innuendo.  It's a witch hunt. 

Contributor
I agree. Nothing courageous about wealthy, powerful movie stars coming out after they’ve achieved their goals. The courageous young women were the ones who said no even if it meant they didn’t get the part and had to leave Hollywood and return to their hometown.
Esteemed Contributor

I was sexually harassed at work many, many years ago.  I took action immediately.  I don't understand why women would wait to speak up.  

Valued Contributor

The women aren't suing - they just are saying what happened to them.  Nothing wrong with that.  I have had things said to me when i was young - for instance when a guy comes on to you, etc. .  Never said anything - didn't want trouble. But i might say it when i'm braver - now that I'm seasoned.  

Esteemed Contributor

It just takes one unscrupulous man or one unscrupulous woman to muddy the waters here. I believe women have been put down and harrassed in the workplace on a regular basis for quite some time in our history. Somebody was given the message that "it's a man's world," and women believed it as well. I would stake my life on my dad's honorable behavior all his life, and there were many men like him. There are also a lot of men, particularly those in a power position, who act dishonorably. I always had good relationships with the men with whom I worked, but then I never put myself in a situation where I could be compromised. I learned early on when not to trust a situation and when to trust, and that goes in my dealings with men and with women. I guess more women need to be schooled in how to spot a con or a bully or a maniipulator from miles away and if something occurs, to report it immediately!

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

It just takes one unscrupulous man or one unscrupulous woman to muddy the waters here. I believe women have been put down and harrassed in the workplace on a regular basis for quite some time in our history. Somebody was given the message that "it's a man's world," and women believed it as well. I would stake my life on my dad's honorable behavior all his life, and there were many men like him. There are also a lot of men, particularly those in a power position, who act dishonorably. I always had good relationships with the men with whom I worked, but then I never put myself in a situation where I could be compromised. I learned early on when not to trust a situation and when to trust, and that goes in my dealings with men and with women. I guess more women need to be schooled in how to spot a con or a bully or a maniipulator from miles away and if something occurs, to report it immediately!

@RainCityWoman, I wager that that schooling needs to start very early by progessive parents who treat their daughters as equal to their sons and who, extremely important, do everything in their power to instill a healthy dose of self-esteem and a sense of security. Oh, how I wish I had both as a child.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman, I wager that that schooling needs to start very early by progessive parents who treat their daughters as equal to their sons and who, extremely important, do everything in their power to instill a healthy dose of self-esteem and a sense of security. Oh, how I wish I had both as a child.

@RainCityWoman  I guess I am very lucky because I had that as a child.  My parents both worked, and I often accompanied them when they were doing business around town.  I learned what it was to behave in a business-like manner, I learned how to deal with conflict on a professional basis, I learned that people are people regardless of race or gender.

I can say that I was NEVER harassed at work. I think unless something is terribly wrong, it takes TWO.  It takes one to initiate inappropriate behavior and one to respond to it.  I don't think most men are sexual predators.  At least not where I  live they aren't.  If someone had behaved inappropriately toward me it would have stopped in a hot second.

BUt fortunate as I was, I was treated as a peer, colleague, friend, and valued part of the office.  In other words, like everyone else who worked hard.

It saddens me that now women may be viewed as a dangerous person in the workplace, and people to be tiptoed around and avoided.   I think women have just suffered a great loss of status.   Not because of the true cases of abuse, but because of the "me too" hysteria. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman  I guess I am very lucky because I had that as a child.  My parents both worked, and I often accompanied them when they were doing business around town.  I learned what it was to behave in a business-like manner, I learned how to deal with conflict on a professional basis, I learned that people are people regardless of race or gender.

I can say that I was NEVER harassed at work. I think unless something is terribly wrong, it takes TWO.  It takes one to initiate inappropriate behavior and one to respond to it.  I don't think most men are sexual predators.  At least not where I  live they aren't.  If someone had behaved inappropriately toward me it would have stopped in a hot second.

BUt fortunate as I was, I was treated as a peer, colleague, friend, and valued part of the office.  In other words, like everyone else who worked hard.

It saddens me that now women may be viewed as a dangerous person in the workplace, and people to be tiptoed around and avoided.   I think women have just suffered a great loss of status.   Not because of the true cases of abuse, but because of the "me too" hysteria. 

@Sooner..  I am not sure what you mean by "respond to it".  I was sexually harassed at work many years ago.  I definitely didn't do anything to initiate or encourage it.  The only response I had to it was to vehemently oppose it and report it.  

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The above falls into the "count your blessings and don't be quick to discount the experiences of others" category. 

jmo

Respected Contributor

i am so over this.

until we take control of our own selves, others can do anything to us.

tons of threads just on this site where women let others control.  ie money, jobs, homes, etc.

the continued ability to blame others and the world for anything we do or happens to us makes for a joyless life.

take charge.  take personal responsibility.  live a good life.  we own it.  no one else.   no matter the stories or excuses we tell ourselves.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~