Respected Contributor

Told this a.m. Power Off For Up To 5 Days!

Our local utility company emailed us this a.m. to say from midnight tonight that all power will be turned off for possibly up to 5 days.  Must not bbq or light any home fires.  We do have large freezer full of food.  We were advised to fill up our cars today.

Evidently they are checking all lines in our and surrounding areas as high winds are forecast and any spark from lines could cause fires- as happened here in CA last year.

Checking our ‘emergency’ supplies we do have candles then DH just checked no matches!  Couple of good flashlights - Talking to neighbors we are all in the same boat.  One good thing today our local Italian restaurant emailed us all to say they have generator and will be open!

Hoping we will be back on by Friday England playing France in Rugby World Cup!!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Told this a.m. Power Off For Up To 5 Days!

I know...isn't this unreal?  So far, my area is not on the list.  

we were without power so many times this last winter. its a hardship, as well as a financial loss, to lose all the food in the refrigerator 

Valued Contributor

So does the power company not care that you will lose the food in the freezer, that's not right. Sorry to hear this...

Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl wrote:

So does the power company not care that you will lose the food in the freezer, that's not right. Sorry to hear this...

if your freezer is packed OR if you can get dry ice, you should not lose anything in the freezer. we have had our electricity out for six days and everything in the big freezer survived, except for ice cream. it is important to open the doors as little as possible.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I'll be without power too!

I guess on the bright side, my electrical bill should be lower for this month!

So, if you don't hear from me for awhile, it's because my power is out.

A lot of businesses will be loosing money, too.

Good luck finding a restaurant that's open and serving food while the power is out.

Not all businesses have a back-up generator.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

I feel so badly for you. Hopefully, it will not be off for the full five days. I would rather lose a freezer full of food though, than experience a devastating fire with potential loss of life because of poor utility maintenance. Kudos to the utility company.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wasn't it the power company that started one of the disastrous fires about a year or so ago?  I think it might have been the Paradise fire when the whole town just about burned down.  I have to say that shutting off power like that is very strange to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

Wasn't it the power company that started one of the disastrous fires about a year or so ago?  Shutting off power like that sounds a little strange to me.

Not really.

You see, durring strong winds, one of PG&E's lines caused the devestating firestorm that caused the town of Paradise to be burned off of the map.

Those same winds are being forcasted, and PG&E is taking the preventative measure of shutting off power, so that the same thing doesn't happen again.

Get it?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

This is awful! Would you be able to purchase a whole house home generator for future outages? I think that'd be a good investment if allowed.

Esteemed Contributor

How can they leave the residents without power for up to 5 days!!! We are not in the dark ages. I am not understanding if this is even legal? Are you suppose to leave your home and stay at another place?