Honored Contributor

Re: Told this a.m. Power Off For Up To 5 Days!

Our entire county's electric grid is really shaky and in need of repair.     People need to prepare for emergencies that will just HAPPEN   and there will be    no power.... the public is not being warned.

Respected Contributor

Update:  We still have power this a.m. now being told ours goes off at 4 p.m. today and now up to 7 days not 5 as previously told yesterday.

Our gas stations here in town closed out of gas - we are en route now trying to stock up with bottled water, get cash from ATM as the stores - if open - will take cash.

No info coming from PG&E their web site not working so just playing it by ear and hopefully not as bad as news stations saying - all be over soon!

An aside:  My Rugby World Cup - England v France - game I paid $30 to watch this Friday just been called off due to typhoon heading for Tokyo - where games being played - so compared to a typhoon no power a winner lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich :  Where do you live in CA?

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

Wasn't it the power company that started one of the disastrous fires about a year or so ago?  Shutting off power like that sounds a little strange to me.

Not really.

You see, durring strong winds, one of PG&E's lines caused the devestating firestorm that caused the town of Paradise to be burned off of the map.

Those same winds are being forcasted, and PG&E is taking the preventative measure of shutting off power, so that the same thing doesn't happen again.

Get it?

No, afraid I don't get it.   Why don't we hear of this problem elsewhere?

Respected Contributor

@patzb, except this isnt related to energy shortages, it is weather related. For all those accusing the electric company of mismanagement, would you have been willing to pay 3 times electrical costs to have all the wires placed underground? Because that's the choice. Or we can jump on the solar train, which this event is really pushing me to consider.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Our entire county's electric grid is really shaky and in need of repair.     People need to prepare for emergencies that will just HAPPEN   and there will be    no power.... the public is not being warned.

the country has been warned.....

this is the reason why some candidates and parties have a large platform regarding infrastructure issues. you just have to be willing to listen and believe.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Having to go without power for 5 days is bad enough when it's caused by storms, but when the power company is purposely doing this it's terrible.  I hope whatever they are doing takes less than 5 days, even a couple hours is hard to handle.  Good luck to those affected!   

What are businesses supposed to do?  Going for 5 days without being able to operate is ridiculous.  Small businesses need to be functioning daily.

I don't think the power company thought this issue through.  They need to go back to the drawing board. 

Respected Contributor

@dulwich  Didn't believe it at first.  Then saw it all over the news.  Crazy?  Nuts?  California!!!!!

Respected Contributor

as someone with friends who were affected by horrendous LA Malibu fires last year, i respect PG&E's putting safety first.  it was downright scary here when a spark was picked up by the winds and landed in a whole new neighborhood, wrecking homes and lives.  it happened too often and almost involved the San Fernando Valley in a major way. that would have been a mega-disaster.

Honored Contributor

at least you are given some notice; we were out last spring due to a terrible storm but didn't expect the power to go out. If you have any food in the fridge that could go into the freezer, now is the time to put it there so you can save it