Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   I haven't read the rest of the replies yet, but here is what I think.  Apparently the toilet paper craze happened in other countries, too.  Not sure why--psychological comfort, control, or . . . I know not.

As to water, having lived in hurricane and blizzard country on the Connecticut shoreline until retiring to Washington, DC  we always have been advised to have water on hand in case the system was compromised.  Especially important if you have well water instead of city water.

If you had a bathtub you always filled it with water and could take some water and add a tiny amount of bleach to purify it so you had a reserve.  (I forget the proper ratio.  It is a tiny amount.  The Scouts manual had it listed.)

The trouble with the bottled water is that it eventually leaks after a couple of years because the plastic degrades.  So you have to use it after the crisis and restock.

In Connecticut at the first sign of a storm people panic buy milk, bread, and eggs.  CT public television reported that this started during the massive "Blizzard of 1978" when then Governor Ella Grasso mentioned those items while touring the state during her yeoman efforts to assess the damage and help citizens during the height of that awful storm and afterwards.  It stuck in people's mind and became an automatic reflex to this day.  How you keep milk when the power fails is beyond me if it's not a cold weather disaster is beyond me; nevertheless folks buy it when a hurricane threatens.  It would be smarter to stock powdered, shelf stable, or canned milk.

I think after September 11, 2001 the federal government also advised having a reserve of bottled water as part of your preparedness kit.

It will be fascinating to see the other replies your post has generated.

Stay well,

aroc3435

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft   @Annabellethecat66 mentioned she hears them talking to each other, presumably in other than English languages.  The greater DC/MD/VA region (called the DMV in shorthand on the news) is very diversified in ethnic terms.

When I moved here 2 1/2 years ago I thought they were referring to the Department of Motor Vehicles on the news if I was only half listening!  I now have adaptted and understand.

aroc3435 

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles : Thank you. I always enjoy reading your post. ❤️❤️❤️Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

Have a lined wastepaper basket next to your toilet & if you are using wipes for your hiney, toss them into the waste basket & not the toilet. End of day, toss into a trash basket (also lined) the wipes from that wastebasket. Wash your hands after that.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Re: Toilet Paper Craze

[ Edited ]

@Silver Lining : Thank you for your kind words, I almost cried. More than ever, we need to stay positive, kind thoughts for everyone and support one another.I would love to know you and so many others and establish a very special meeting place and special events. ❤️💐💐 Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Silver Lining : Thank you for your kind words, I almost cried. More than ever, we need to stay positive, kind thoughts for everyone and support one another.❤️❤️❤️Southern Bee

You are truly an inspiration to me and I'm sure to others here on the forums.

Respected Contributor

Re: Toilet Paper Craze

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 wrote:

@RoughDraft   @Annabellethecat66 mentioned she hears them talking to each other, presumably in other than English languages.  The greater DC/MD/VA region (called the DMV in shorthand on the news) is very diversified in ethnic terms.

When I moved here 2 1/2 years ago I thought they were referring to the Department of Motor Vehicles on the news if I was only half listening!  I now have adaptted and understand.

aroc3435 

@aroc3435   Thanks for the explanation.  I am familiar with the term DMV since I've visited the tri-state area many times  The only trouble I had in VA, was looking for liquor stores and had to find out the hard way they're called ABC.  Woman LOL

I'm part of a vast tri-state area of my own:  PA. NJ. and DE. with NY just a quick train ride from home and we have our own short-hand and a fantastic mix of ethnicities with many diverse populations which makes this a great place to live.  I'm also used to different accents since I worked in the medical field with many foreing speaking doctors and nurses, and having grandparents that weren't born here. 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Wish QVC or HSN sold it.

I had thought of that too LOL!  It would be on Wait List most likely LOL!

I gave up on that quest, now, I'm stockpiling Kleenex. I've had bulk toliet paper in my 'cart' at 2 different places when they said they had it only to get an email later saying "due to heavy demand we cannot fulfill this order".

Tired of that don't show it as available if you really don't have it just wanting your email so they can spam you to death.

Walmart is limiting one box of kleenex (3 pack box) now at least.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435  As a 4th generation Alexandrian, I can tell you we do not like the reference DMV.  

We are very specific that we are from Virginia as are people from DC and Maryland.

I have at times referred to the DMV and my family has teased me about it. I try not to do it.

Oh! Believe me, I know the difference.  I went to from beginning to end in Alexandria and I can tell you if you ask any of my friends they'll say the same thing about not like like the DMV.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

The other day a neighbor told me she was down to her last 3 rolls and went to the dollar store to buy more.  There was none to be had ... and no other variation.

So she went to the birthday party aisle and grabbed handfuls of the napkins that are dyed to match other party items.   She said there was plenty there.

Mask Mask  Mask