Honored Contributor

OK, I got back on here so I could ask you ladies something.

This bugs me every time it snows or (in this case) a virus epidemic.

What the heck is it about Americans and the toilet paper craze?  Does anyone know?  Has anyone seen any psychiatrists analyze just what it is about us with the toilet paper?

That and water.  We are also crazy about buying water.  I see people buying water even when nothing is going on.

I'm not judging, I've always bought water.  I can't stand the taste of faucet water.

I go through a case in less than 1 week.  Just me, I drink that much water.  We've always had bottled water in my house.  

I used to have the huge jugs but when my husband died, it was too hard for me to get them up on the dispenser, so now I haul the huge cases (right now I have four)...I just opened one so I should say I have 3.

I mean it's not like we can't drink faucet water.  There's nothing wrong with it.  I know it has fluoride in it.  It just tastes terrible.

I've seen people buying it that are from many different nationalities (I'm at Costco and hear them talking to each other).

So, I'm wondering if they come here and just see everyone else buying it so they do.

I'm not concerned about the water.  However, I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any insight as to why Americans buy toilet paper.

There used to be a saying...something like, "He who died with the most toys wins".

But I think the saying now goes, "He who dies with the most toilet paper wins".

Thoughts please?

Valued Contributor

FDE6968A-311F-4ACC-95A3-EC99096E7579.jpeg

Honored Contributor

It's called stress hoarding. That's a real condition.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Toilet Paper Craze

[ Edited ]

They said on the news that people feel they have no control over their lives right now,so they are hoarding toilet paper & sanitizer. It gives them a sense that they can control something.

Respected Contributor

I've always been a hoarder of toilet paper. When I was newly married, every time it was on sale I'd buy several packs and still do to this day, though I'm no longer married. Same with paper towels. I think I just counted about 200 rolls of toilet paper the other day, though I haven't bought any recently. My neighbors know where to come if they need any. 

Respected Contributor

I'd be more concerned I didn't have money to buy food....would rather have some TP on hand....don't care about the sanitizer as I wash my hands with regular soap and water and have lot's of soap!  To much beauty buying is paying off (body soap LOL) 

The TP crazy and sanitizer hoarding happened as some people saw a opportunity to make money on creating a shortage.  Just look online at amazon or ebay...I have seen it going for $300 a 6 pack....or $50 or more per roll!  It's about making money and when one does this then many other people got the bug to do it too.

Of course now we do have people panic buying as they see nothing on the shelves and when a few packs show up (even if they have a basement full) they feel the "urge" to buy some more TP!  JUst in case or perhaps they can sell if for cash.

Honored Contributor

I simply do not understand what about being out of toilet paper is puzzling to anyone.

Should you really want to understand, just remove the roll from your bathroom for 24 hours then report back if you then do understand.  NO tissue allowed either.  

Respected Contributor

Many different nationalities?  How can you tell?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66,  you should look into a bottom loading water cooler.  Even 5 gallon bottles of water are manageable and less expensive than cases of bottled water.  Plus the bottles are returned, sterilized and refilled.  There are lots of choices in style and price.

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/811691/811691021676.jpg?size=xl

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

There have been many threads on this topic in the past few weeks, 

you will likely find many thoughts if you use the search function.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras