Honored Contributor

Re: Toddler/Cruise Ship Trial, Plea Deal Offered

@suzyQ3 Thanks! Exactly. I'm not the one making the connection. Other people in this thread are. And I am saying it would be corrupt for the prosecutor to make any such link. It's pretty simple.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I am astounded at the popular reaction to this tragic incident.  You've never done anything that, except for the grace of God, might have ended tragically for one of your children?  Under no circumstances that I can see would I have charged this gentleman.  No, I have not watched the video, I can't bear to.  

Had they not decided to sue the cruise ship and pass the blame on to them instead of the grandfather, he likely wouldn't have been charged and it would have been noted as a tragic accident. But they chose to assign blame to the cruise ship line and sue.

It's a huge tragedy and they chose to make it worse.

Respected Contributor

My guess is that the grandfather will not accept the plea deal. By sticking to the story of the cruise line is at fault, it makes the baby's death not be in vain.  Any money that they receive will be just reward for losing their child. 

I don't think a jury will favor the grandfather or the family.  If the comments on this board can be used as a court of public opinion, most of us feel it was the grandfather's negligence and not the fault of the cruise line having a window open for ventilation. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I am astounded at the popular reaction to this tragic incident.  You've never done anything that, except for the grace of God, might have ended tragically for one of your children?  Under no circumstances that I can see would I have charged this gentleman.  No, I have not watched the video, I can't bear to.  

@depglass,  this sounds like a case of there are none so blind as those that will not see applies here.

While the public has not yet had the opportunity to watch the video if the news reports are accurate that the grandfather put his head out the [open] window before placing the child on the rail then leaned forward with her before she slipped away how could you in good conscience not feel the grandfather should face charges?

While I agree this was a tragic accident that does not absolve the grandfather any more than "forgetting" absolves a parent for leaving an infant in a hot or freezing car.

Under the best case scenario the grandfather's negligence resulted in an unnatural death--homicide.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

AlisonWonderland - so very true.

Respected Contributor

This is so sad and I commend the Puerto Rican prosecutors for offering such a generous deal.  The grandfather is totally at fault, but as a grandparent I can only imagine how he must feel.  On the other side the parents filing a lawsuit, is totally ridiculous.  They have no right to use this as a money grab.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

He's hardly being persecuted here - NO jail time NO fine. Just minimum probation and supervision (which if he has other grandkids may not be a bad idea actually).

So it's not about his having to defend himself from jail time - no it's about the lawsuit against the cruise line.  If he admits it was his fault, the family won't get the big payout.  

It could be he's in denial  and it could also be that the family is pressuring him because they want the money.

That's what I think too....he probably feels obligated to keep lying for the sake of the parents to win a huge law suit.  More foolishness...just admit you knew the window was open...you put the baby on the 1" railing...and she slipped from your grasp by accident.  He is responsible...not the cruise line.

He could end the madness in that family....take the deal....admit it all truthfully.  

Esteemed Contributor

There are no winners here. Whether convicted in the court of public opinion, or in a trial by jury, his willful act undeniably resulted in the death of his precious grandchild. He will be "imprisoned" every day for the rest of his life. No amount of prison time will change that. My thoughts and healing prayers go out to anyone affected by this unthinkable tragedy. 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Many in the media have seen the video and have reported what they've seen, including him leaning out the window.  His defense team has to know this.

Why they are trying to spin this and deflect with his "color blind" status is baffling.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you @depglass the Grandfather should not be charged. This was a tragic accident. There was no intent to harm this beautiful child. He made a error in judgement that he will have to live with for the rest of his life. What this entire family is going through is unthinkable.