Respected Contributor

Re: Toddler/Cruise Ship Trial, Plea Deal Offered

[ Edited ]

Wow - so the video shows him leaning out the window before lifting the toddler to lean out to her death.

But he claims he "thought there was glass" and he was "color blind" so he couldn't tell.

Reminds me of where we have come today - actual facts are just disregarded and people keep insisting the version they want to be true is the real story.  And sadly, because others want to blame the same people as the accuser - in this case the cruise line - they jump on board and agree.

Or, as in this case, even if they are finally forced to acknowledge that he lied and he knew there was no glass - because he clearly leaned out the open window - well it's STILL the cruise line's fault for having an open window in the first place.  And they should PAY. 

Honored Contributor

What this man did is horrible.  And the family of this little girl should be ashamed of themselves. 

I don't know how people can live with themselves after doing something so atrocious...

Esteemed Contributor

The Puerto Rico prosecutor's statement yesterday on the video release:

"A careful review of said video confirms, however that Salvatore Anello is guilty of negligent homicide as charged," the statement reads. "The evidence collected in this case corroborates his criminal responsibility. We hope and expect Chloe’s family fully cooperates with our proceedings and that justice prevails in this case with conviction.”

Honored Contributor

I didn't see him lean out before. I saw him lift the child up and over. I think because there wasn't glass  in front of the child ( to stop her)when she lurched forward to bang on the glass, he might have been pulled forward. It must have  happened in seconds

I don't think this absolves him of guilt, but I don't think he intentionally  did it..Stupidity is not an excuse for doing this...At his age he should know better, and the mother should have never allowed it to begin with

Honored Contributor

Wow, that video is all telling.  Many passengers on the ship have said that he leaned out of the window and was aware that it was open before lifting that child out of it.  They have also said that he was holding her by her arms and swinging her, before she slipped away from him.

It is difficult to understand how he could be so stupid. It also makes me wonder if it was indeed, an accident...who does this?

He doesn't deserve a plea deal. The most he will get if he doesn't take the plea deal and found guilty is three years in prison...not enough time, IMO.  I have no sympathy for this man.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just watched an interview with the CBS guy that I'd never seen. 

He said initially that the man leaned out over the rail for a second, but that there was a time delay or something and really it was for about 8 seconds.  All on video.

Then he picked up Chloe and held her over the rail for 20 to 25 seconds before he dropped her. 

He dropped her.  Whether she wiggled out of his arms or she slipped from his grip.  He dropped her.  He was holding her outside a ship many stories up.

Why his face wasn't soaking wet during the interview with this CBS anchor re-telling the story of how he dropped her and watched her fall and watched her land on cement.  His suit should've been soaking wet with tears. 

But no, with his shifty eyes, where he matter of factly says a scripted response that he in no way would've gone anywhere near that window if he knew there was a danger. 

And how he's 'been told that being color blind may have been a factor'.

The flipping video shows him bent to the point you can't even see Chloe any more.  And if you count the 20 or more seconds she's being held out there just seems like forever.

You dropped her you fool.  You knew there wasn't any glass and you picked her up and you dropped her and just admit it.  

He should be punished for lying about how he wantonly disregarded the safety of a little girl who fell for many seconds in a terrible free fall before her life ended so horrifically.

How this family can even look at him is beyond me.  I can't stand the sight of him.

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

He said initially that the man leaned out over the rail for a second, but that there was a time delay or something and really it was for about 8 seconds.  All on video.

Then he picked up Chloe and held her over the rail for 20 to 25 seconds before he dropped her. 

He dropped her.  Whether she wiggled out of his arms or she slipped from his grip.  He dropped her.  He was holding her outside a ship many stories up.

Why his face wasn't soaking wet during the interview with this CBS anchor re-telling the story of how he dropped her and watched her fall and watched her land on cement.  His suit should've been soaking wet with tears. 

But no, with his shifty eyes, where he matter of factly says a scripted response that he in no way would've gone anywhere near that window if he knew there was a danger. 

The flipping video shows him bent to the point you can't even see Chloe any more.  And if you count the 20 or more seconds she's being held out there just seems like forever.

You dropped her you fool.  You knew there wasn't any glass and you picked her up and you dropped her and just admit it.  

He should be punished for lying about how he wantonly disregarded the safety of a little girl who fell for many seconds in a terrible free fall before her life ended so harshly.

How this family can even look at him is beyond me.  I can't stand the sight of him.

Clearly a liar, the worst kind of person. I'm wondering what the intention was. 

⚓️
QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

I'll bet he was drunker than a skunk, which would make it no different than vehicular homicide while driving drunk. Doesn't matter if there was no intent, or how happy you were before it happened.  It should not have ever happened.

I do think he will do some time for this, because the negligence is obvious. 

The parents are probably the ones who said we will fight this, it will not bring her back, and we think you've suffered enough.  It gives them something else to focus on, besides what really happened.  

Respected Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

He should be punished for lying about how he wantonly disregarded the safety of a little girl who fell for many seconds in a terrible free fall before her life ended so harshly.

Clearly a liar, the worst kind of person. I'm wondering what the intention was. 

@LoveMyBaby  Some people cannot/will not admit their guilt regardless of the evidence against them. Perhaps it's a learned response, or it could just be their character.  I call those people cowards and it's very sad for everyone.