Honored Contributor

Re: Today would have been my Mom's 89 th Birthday

I'm so sorry. Birthdays, anniversaries, or any special days are made tougher when you've lost someone and the loss is felt even more poignantly. 

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes I'm truly sorry for your loss, and for the losses of other posters here. Especially to covid.

I miss my Mom so much too. And I lost my Dad a few months ago. It's heartbreaking.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes (and all others who mentioned a loss of a loved one)...my heart goes out to you...and I deeply relate. So sorry for your loss. So glad your sister made it.

I too lost my dear, sweet, vibrant 91 y.o. mom, 4/8/20, due to Covid. Like another said, I wish it also was from anything else. Covid never should have been kept a secret as long as it was, putting the rest of the world at large in danger. But that said...it was, and given that, the only blessing was, mom would have hated being in lockdown for months, and not being able to go out. She was in assisted living on lock down. I had only 1 "window visit" two days before she went to the hosptial, and had planned to go back the next day, it rained, then the next day she went into the hospital. They thought she was having a "seizure" or mini stroke...but by the time  EMS came she was talking just fine...passed all the "stroke" tests, thought she was coming home, then "they saw some cloudiness in her lungs." She was a young 91 y.o. full of life, but did have a seasonal bronchial issue which made her more vulnerable. She hung on 15 days, we thought she might actually pull through...it was not to be. And her pulmonolgist told me even if she had made it, she most likely would have a "very long road back" and likely not the quality of life she had before...also not what mom would have wanted.

I'm an only child, and had a wonderful close relationship with my mom, which I'm grateful for; I will forever miss her.

Peace and hugs to you and all of you who've experienced this loss during Covid, (devastating to not be able to be with them), or whenever your loss was.

ps. on what would have been mom's 92nd birthday in June,  my cousin I'm closest to, who had a special relationship with mom too, went to the cemetary...which is like a big beautiful park. We sat, "with mom", drank Prosecco, toasted my mom, told stories and laughed a little. Peace to you. 

Respected Contributor

There are little signs that make us smile.

The deer came for a visit, I bet she was happy they were there.

Memories of her will always be a blessing to you.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  So sorry about the loss of your Mother. This Covid thing really gets the elderly especially the ones in close proxmimity in nursing homes. I hope you'll have only pleasant memories of her and your times together. 

Honored Contributor

So sorry to ALL who have lost someone to this awful virus. The rest of us have fears that relatives or ourselves could get it. It's a terrible tragedy, but we have to continue to do what we can to keep well and protect our loved ones...like having Thanksgiving alone instead of with our family. It's a small sacrifice for their safety. 

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes I'm very sorry for your loss. All the firsts without your loved one is very difficult. My mom passed away January 31 of this year, five days after her birthday. I know when her birthday comes around it will be very difficult for me. 

Respected Contributor

@amyb  you and all of the others who lost parents have my deepest sympathy as well. I am the oldest of 10 siblings, 2 sisters  passed years ago. I was the only one to be able to see her via her nurses cell phone a day or so before she died but she was on a ventilator and non responsive. I'm sure it was very difficult for you being the only child . Peace and hugs to you as well and to all who have lost love ones to this virus or other illness.

Esteemed Contributor

Losing a beloved parent or any family member is heartbreaking. I am so sorry. I can't imagine what just hearing the date, 2020, means for so many people. Take care of yourself. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

Happy heavenly birthday to your mom. I am so sorry for your loss, and the losses for so many others too. My mom would have been 92 yesterday. She died 4 years ago shortly after she turned 88. Covid would have been tough for her to understand. My mom had cancer but her main cause of death was from brain trauma from a fall. I miss her everyday. Maybe they are celebrating their birthdays together.