Respected Contributor

Re: Today we got a job done I have been dreading

@cherry

I can totally relate to you relief and happiness at that job being done!  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry My closet, I even bought some sets of the cascading hangers so when I go to the closet I know right where everything is, Logo in one spot, Susan Graver in another and so on, I spent 3 hours one evening and I ran out of hangers, so the remaining had to wait until more hangers came in,  and wait is what is has been doing for 3 months now, how pathetic am I.

I am almost done I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem, as I am an organization guru, but this project has me procrastinating beyond anything I could ever find myself doing?

Valued Contributor

My basement   

My sister has been putting off getting rid of the last of my mom's things.   There are 3 racks of clothes and some other assorted items    I no longer can keep them.   That's been nagging at me for a while.  I told her after Christmas, they had to go.  

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Hi cherry,

We have a massive king sized bed and it's an undertaking to not just rotate the mattress but also to take of the bed skirt and launder it.  Our bed is high off the floor and I DO NOT like anything under it, no storage, shoes, etc.  We have hard wood floods underneath 3/4 of it and I use my swifter once or twice a week.  The remaining 1/4 has an area rug and I use the vacuum for that. 

I'm  going through the linen closet now, getting rid of the old and replacing it with new. I've bought two sets of sheets last week, this week it will be towels and pillows.  I wash my pillows every month but it's time for everyone to get new sets.

@MyGirlsMom

It was always my philosophy to have NOTHING (but dust) under the beds too. Then life got away from me! 

The leaves to my dining room table are under the spare bed as they are supposed to be stored flat, and I have nowhere else I can imagine they would fit.

My son's bed is bare underneath, but ours in the master is loaded. I did it because for 10 years I had a dog that would get under there and hide. One day, a rail broke and the bed came down, with him underneath! Luckily he was a quick mover and didn't get hurt, but after that I went around and found things to put under there to block it solidly so he could never get under there again. 

At the time, I had to go hunting to find things to take up the space. After my kid grew up, I packed up his books and keep them under there. I absolutely hate it, and pulling everything out to clean underneath is such a pain. My goal is to get everything back out from under there in the next year or so as my kid moves out and makes a ton of room in our closets and other areas of the house. 

As to the OP, we have a Queen bed, and the mattress is so thick and heavy that even my son and husband together have everything they can do to move it enough to let me wash and iron the dust ruffle. 

I love the feeling when the bed has been stripped completely down and cleaned underneath as well. I try to do it at least once a year, and with the stuff underneath, I dread it to no end.

@MyGirlsMom

@cherry

Honored Contributor

I've got a few....cleaning out freezer and fridge, cleaning ceiling fans and washing curtains. I always feel satisfied after just need a little momentum. 

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have a king size bed as well.  A few weeks ago I wanted to simply rotate the mattress.  I about threw my back out just doing that.  What a chore!

The thing I have been putting off some might consider fun but I'm over it.  Picking out a new backsplash for my kitchen.  We got new granite countertops about a month ago but the backsplash is what was up before because I can't find anything. 

I have scoured magazines, Pintrest and I look at every kitchen on home shows, friends homes, any home I'm in but I never think anyone's backsplash matches their counters.  I think it's because granite and/or quartz is one pattern and then the backsplashes are a different pattern that is coordinating but I just think they always clash. 

I cannot tell you the number of tiles I have brought home from various places to try them out, only to return them all because I hate them.       

Does your backsplash have to be tile?  Try thinking about other materials that would go with the granite because many materials can be finished so that whatever is splashed can be washed away clean.... thinking out side of the box may give you exactly what you want... Woman LOL

I tend to love antiques so I've seen wainscoting as a backsplash and love it...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=wainscoting%20as%20a%20...

I also personally love tin ceiling tile as a backsplash....

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tin%20ceiling%20tile%20...

@Q4u

If I ever get to re do my kitchen, I have always wanted to do the backsplash in the tin ceiling material too. I love the look, and have seen it with many different styles of cabinets.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  Good job !! I need to take on that task as well and have been avoiding it. You have given me hope !

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you looked at a product called Fasade at Home Depot? I wish I knew how to link on here. When I remodel my kitchen I will be using the silver/wave pattern for my backspash with white sparkle quartz countertops....if they still make this product. Looks special to me, right up my alley! 

Honored Contributor

Job well done cherry!

We have king sized beds, but hardwood only --underneath. 

I dry mop every other day or so (I have cats) all around the house and under furniture.  

I go through 6 dust mop heads to do the whole house and they get tossed in the washer after each use.

Life is so much easier without carpets.  I use plush and pretty bathmats that can be washed also. 

My biggie job this week is to pressure wash the front steps and sidewalk.  I'm so mad at myself for not doing it before the holidays, but I don't think anyone else would notice or care that it wasn't done.

To me, it will look so bright and pristine afterwards.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva my son has the dark granite with glass tiles in a mix of the same colors...I think it looks great.Have you seen that yet?