Trusted Contributor

Today we begin looking for a home to buy. It stinks. :(

[ Edited ]

All I can say it what used to be fun is now a nightmare. DH and I have had more shouting matches than I can count; we've seen 3 houses go up for sale and then show SOLD in ONE HOUR; we've seen 5 houses come on the market, come off the next day to then come back on at a much higher price (over the past week)....this just stinks.

It's even worse when you have a deadline. My fear is we'll wind up with a house we really don't like but it's the only choice we'll have because of the deadline.

Do I even NEED to say the word "COVID"? *heavy sigh*

Wish us luck.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today we begin looking for a home to buy. It stinks. :(

Work with a realtor who can get advance notice of places "coming soon."

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

Being forced into a timeline for such a large purchase is awful!!!

Can you possibly store your furniture and rent, giving yourself more time, rather than settling for something you may not be pleased with?

Valued Contributor

I feel your pain, I was in real estate during a hot market. It's very stressful for buyers to feel the pressure of having to make such an important decision (both financially and emotionally) so quick. 

If it helps, you aren't alone, I used to joke and claim that a real estate agent is also a marriage counselor.

Trusted Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee What a compromising position to be in, I feel for you.  May I ask what area of the country you are looking?  I understand MANY areas are experiencing the same thing, a real sellers market - low inventory.

Respected Contributor

My sister is a Realtor in Massachusetts and she said that there are many looking for new homes. She recently sold a home, yes in about 1 hour. There were several offers. Some even more than the asking price. It is a sellers market right now. Good luck out there and stay safe. 

Trusted Contributor

It's awful!  My daughter went through the same thing. She bid on a house and was outbid by $10,000 by other offers.  They all need work too.

Jessa
Esteemed Contributor

We bought a new house in March and if you don't grab it whoosh gone. My son put his house on the market January 2 sold on January 3. It is very stressful but just picture yourself a year from now. Enjoying your new home and the work is in the rear view mirror.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

All I can say it what used to be fun is now a nightmare. DH and I have had more shouting matches than I can count; we've seen 3 houses go up for sale and then show SOLD in ONE HOUR; we've seen 5 houses come on the market, come off the next day to then come back on at a much higher price (over the past week)....this just stinks.

It's even worse when you have a deadline. My fear is we'll wind up with a house we really don't like but it's the only choice we'll have because of the deadline.

Do I even NEED to say the word "COVID"? *heavy sigh*

Wish us luck.

can i ask why you have a deadline for moving....sounds very stressful....especially during  Covid......wishing you luck.....

Esteemed Contributor

My Realtor friends are loving it!