Respected Contributor

Re: Today show peice on Masks

Unless someone has a breathing problem, what is the big deal about wearing a mask?  When the pandemic started, my BIL sent us some masks and my husband would ask me to wear one whenever I went out.  I respectfully declined.  When they became mandatory, I began wearing them.  Now that I've been been doing it for a few months, it's not a big deal!  What a small price to pay to keep ourselves and others safe!

Esteemed Contributor

@Thats Me wrote:

@shoesnbags @Hi, that's what I use too. They are breathable. I use 2 layers.

@Thats Me 

Yes, me too!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

The test where no virus was found on the inside of the mask is a result that would have me seriously questioning the test protocol. How the heck do you cough into a mask and leave no virus on the inside of the mask? Was the mask completely porous to the virus and 100% of the virus just flew right on through the mask? Were the virus particles on the outside of the mask from the cough, or were they acquired by walking through either your own suspended virus particles or someone else's? That's one of those results where you stop and go, "Maybe we should be rethinking the testing process?" I just find it highly illogical that an infected person can cough into a mask and leave no virus inside the mask. If the mask was that transparent to the virus wouldn't breathing in move some virus back into the mask from the exterior? That's a result that seems too illogical to be true. I think something went wrong in that testing process.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman clearly you didn't see the show or read the study.  Common sense dictates and the study shows that wearing a mask (correctly) helps in prevention of the spread of the virus in addition to distancing and time spent exposed.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@liliblu 

I gave up answering and defending my post two days ago 

@liliblu wrote:

This is a hostil thread.  I think the intial poster was trying to say that the reporter coughed onto petri dishes.  Once without a mask and then using various types of masks available.  The masks stopped or reduced the droplets that ended up on the petri dishes.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@gardenman clearly you didn't see the show or read the study.  Common sense dictates and the study shows that wearing a mask (correctly) helps in prevention of the spread of the virus in addition to distancing and time spent exposed.

The study I was referring to was on post 26. They had people coughing into masks and found no virus on the interior of most masks. If you're having infected people coughing directly into a mask and finding no virus on the interior of the mask, it's a bit illogical. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

The study I was referring to was on post 26. They had people coughing into masks and found no virus on the interior of most masks. If you're having infected people coughing directly into a mask and finding no virus on the interior of the mask, it's a bit illogical. 

I thought this thread was about the today show's episode which showed that masks do help. I never heard about the one you are referenceing. Common sense would say that any inside of a mask would have somel bacteria. We all need to utilize that common sense and a little bit of critical thinking skills to determine that any barrier isl better than no barrier.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

Unless someone has a breathing problem, what is the big deal about wearing a mask?  When the pandemic started, my BIL sent us some masks and my husband would ask me to wear one whenever I went out.  I respectfully declined.  When they became mandatory, I began wearing them.  Now that I've been been doing it for a few months, it's not a big deal!  What a small price to pay to keep ourselves and others safe!

@Linmo I have been a huge advocate of mandatory masks from the start but can tell you that as the weather gets hot, those who never had breathing problems can in fact become quite light headed and feel sick from wearing one.  Case in point, I was at a members only big box store yesterday and after walking the length and breadth to find my supplies (as I have always done) I very much wanted to take off my mask but did not.  

Once in my car I did remove it and drove home as I was done.  No more shopping for me even though I had another venue on my list that suddenly seemed unimportant. Will probably go out today. 

Respected Contributor

I think it interesting as I have seen children in masks but the adults with them are not wearing them. Should be the other way around.

My neighbor works at Wal-Mart and is on a leave of unpaid absence as can not tolerate wearing a mask. She said she gets too hot.