Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today show peice on Masks

Couple points...

First my mother taught me to cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze, guess people don't do that anymore and need that mask instead of manners.

Second bacteria is about 100 times larger than a virus, so of course a mask will "catch" some bacteria, however a virus can and will pass right through.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Couple points...

First my mother taught me to cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze, guess people don't do that anymore and need that mask instead of manners.

Second bacteria is about 100 times larger than a virus, so of course a mask will "catch" some bacteria, however a virus can and will pass right through.

The problem is so many people cover their mouth with their hands!  For years they have been saying to cough or sneeze into your elbow/arm.  

If I have to cough or sneeze and I'm wearing my mask, I pull the mask down and do so into my elbow.  I cannot imagine sneezing into my mask.  

And it's not only coughing or sneezing.  Simply talking often causes droplets to come out of your mouth.  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox I don't understand why that test tells me anything about how a mask works for a viral infection.  Am I wrong that bacterial and viral infections work in different ways?

If it really does tell me basic masks are fine, then I've been thinking okay for months now because that's what I've been using and plan to use for many more unless there's new solid info.

I will continue to believe limited exposure to indoor cowded spaces as well as good sanitary practices is equally important for self protection

Respected Contributor

As primitive as this "experiment" was, a key piece they appear to have failed to capture is the load of bacteria in each successive cough. I'd expect there to be less as the coughing continued. Assuming this was done in one fell swoop, there should have been a final cough into a second petri dish to compare to the first one.

But the whole thing is a ridiculous stunt without application to the pandemic because we're dealing with a VIRUS, which is much smaller. I wonder how many people will be misled by this into thinking their etsy mask protects against the virus. 

Honored Contributor

Obviously, if you're coughing into a mask, there's going to be bacteria in the mask.  How many people re-use their masks?  If bacteria is growing in a petri dish, it's growing on your mask. 

A virus and bacteria are different anyway.  I don't get the point of the whole experiement

Esteemed Contributor

Excerpt from:  healthnewshub.org/health-news-hub/top-news/cloth-mask-vs-surgical-mask-vs-n95-how-effective-is-each/

IMO Disclaimer:  This information is from a May 7, 2020 article so more current information may be available.

But both the CDC and World Health Organization recommend people wear a cloth mask in public when social distancing, defined as at least 6 feet from other people, is not possible. A mask is not a substitute for social distancing, but it protects nearby people from possible infection if you sneeze and expel droplets of SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

A study published in April in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that a cloth mask offers more protection than a surgical mask for people nearby. Researchers, using a measurement for viral loads, found 2.42 log copies per milliliter on the exterior of surgical masks and 1.85 log copies per milliliter on the exterior of cloth masks of infected patients at two hospitals in Seoul, South Korea. In the study, four infected patients coughed five times into a petri dish wearing no mask, then a surgical mask, then a cotton mask and, finally, one more round without a mask. Without a mask, the patients’ viral loads measured 2.56 log copies per milliliter.

Researchers swabbed from the each mask’s interior and exterior. Notably, most swabs from the inner-mask surface were negative. All swabs from the outer mask surface were positive. That’s the science behind recommendations that people refrain from touching mask exteriors. Remove a mask without touching the exterior. If cloth, throw it in the washing machine for an old-fashioned cleaning.

So why were there no viral particles inside the masks? Researchers have two theories.

“A turbulent jet due to air leakage around the mask edge could contaminate the outer surface,” according to the research letter. “Alternatively, the small aerosols of SARS-CoV-2 generated during a high velocity cough might penetrate the masks.”

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Thats Me wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper @ Hi. Well, they know that masks with pockets where you can insert a filter work much better than 2-layer masks. They work better at protecting others AND the wearer.

here's an interesting article that goes into filter materials.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8187603/Designers-say-layers-blue-shop-towels-inside-cotton...

@Thats Me 

I researched effective filters before I started sewing  masks, and the blue shop towels seemed to be the best choice. So I ordered a box from Amazon (one of the brands recommended in this article) and now I have enough filter material to last the duration.  They are breathable, too.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox   I thought that was interesting, thanks for sharing

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

The reporter coughed into a petrie dish without a mask, then did the same thing, with a surgical, cloth and N 95 mask.

They let the dishes grow for a few days and as expected the unmasked face grew bacteria BUT there was nothing on any of the three masks. I found this fascinating

You're sure it was bacteria and not virus that they measured? I agree with others that bacteria is not a good substitute. I can understand that they couldn't bring in a Covid patient to test it. But why not someone with a basic cold virus? It would demonstrate the principle better at least.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

Maybe bacteria was the wrong word, how about speutum would that be a better choice of words, if you have C19 you are coughing out stuff which should follow the same principal

@Porcelain wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

The reporter coughed into a petrie dish without a mask, then did the same thing, with a surgical, cloth and N 95 mask.

They let the dishes grow for a few days and as expected the unmasked face grew bacteria BUT there was nothing on any of the three masks. I found this fascinating

You're sure it was bacteria and not virus that they measured? I agree with others that bacteria is not a good substitute. I can understand that they couldn't bring in a Covid patient to test it. But why not someone with a basic cold virus? It would demonstrate the principle better at least.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.