Honored Contributor

Today is my father's birthday

[ Edited ]

I have mentioned on these forums that my father always gave away money, bought  food and helped people with housing.

It was not unusual to find strangers sleeping in our living room or have homeless people at our Sunday dinners or holiday table.  He would buy clothing and shoes for people in nursing homes, donate money to kid's sports teams for uniforms.

Our family restaurant would also host free parties for children in need and people with no money could eat there free.

My paternal Grandmother died when I was 9 months old, so I don't  remember her.  I have been told many stories about her though.  My older cousins remembered her inviting people in to eat when they came to the door selling pencils and other cheap things to make a $1 or two or collecting rags.

She always said, the Bible says It could be an Angel sent to your door to test you, so never turn anyone away hungry.  My father learned to be kind from his mother.  There were 11 children in the family and her husband died when my dad, the oldest was 17

Things are different today and doing those things aren't safe anymore.

I am getting to the point....

Today, I went grocery shopping.  While I was getting checked out, an elderly lady on a motor scooter supplied by the store was behind me.  She had a few items in her basket.  

When my items were done being scanned, I told  the cashier to add the lady's items to my bill.  They were on the belt already.

The woman asked me why I did that. She said we were strangers.  I really have no idea why I did it. I just did.  I just said it without thinking.

Anyway, she thanked me and started to cry.  She said she was almost out of money and was getting worried she would not have enough to pay for her food.  It really wasn't much.  She only had four items.

When I came home and thought about it. I realized today is my father's 111 birthday.  I am sure he was behind my sudden generosity.

So, happy birthday to my father.  Still doing good from the other side.

Honored Contributor

Re: Today is my father"s birthday

You had a good dad, and you are a credit to him. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Re: Today is my father"s birthday

@Carmie That's lovely. Seems dad is still directing your life from the other side. {{{hugs}}} for your caring and thoughtfulness.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Today is my father's birthday

@Carmie 

What a sweet post, I also wish your kind and generous Father a very happy birthday!Heart

What a blessing he was and what a difference he made in the lives of others less fortunate.

I know you're proud of him and well you should be.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

You were truly a Heaven sent angel on earth to that woman in the grocery store today; bless you for your thoughtfulness!

Respected Contributor

@Carmie   What a touching and beautiful post, all the way around.  Today is my late mother's birthday.  How much we miss our parents.  💔

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop   

Thank you, but I am sure it wasn't my idea.  I'm wasn't even paying attention and hardly noticed her.

Respected Contributor

Oh @Carmie ..... that touched my heart.  It is more of a blessing to give than receive.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie   what a nice post!  It’s nice that it turned out to be your dads birthday.  A gentle reminder from him.  We are so blessed, and it always feels so good to help someone else in need, no matter how small the act of kindness.  Sometimes even a smile to a stranger can truly change someone’s day.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie Synchronicity at work....what a lovely gift for you, your father, and the recipient of the groceries.  Thank you for sharing.Heart