Honored Contributor

Re: Today is National Left Handers Day

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Thanks, @OKPrincess, and happy left-hander's day to you and the rest of the goup...

I like being left-handed, even though I've randomly and haphazardly adopted a few right-handed behaviors, like scissors, etc.

Left-handed, right-brained...

I can’t use scissors right-handed. Yes, we are in our right mind!! 🙂

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Me too!!.....Im a lefty.....

!Image result for cat raising left paw

It as caused me a few problems  ---  the cord got in the way when I was learning to iron,  in High School Phys Ed class in baseball, no one could pitch to a left handed batter, so I would get bruises and black eyes from their mis-aimed pitches.  And thank God for left handed scissors, there was smudging ink when writing.... A lot of challenges for sure.... WE DESERVE A SPECIAL DAY! Woman Very Happy

Throughout the centuries, many of our most celebrated thinkers and artists have been lefties. From Aristotle to Leonardo Da Vinci, Albert Einstein to Marie Curie, Bill Gates to Oprah Winfrey, our world would be a very a different place without the numerous notable lefties. Scientists have found that lefties tend to be better at divergent thinking, allowing them to think of more possible solutions to a problem than just the obvious. It's a skill that can certainly help with creative thinking.

That’s right. Ironing was difficult and I hated using pinking shears (I think that’s what they were called) because they were difficult to use.  I guess the list could go on and on if we all thought about it. 

By by the way is that a left-pawed kitty? 🙀

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Me, too!  It was tough when I was young.  The teachers kept trying to punish me for writing with my left hand and tried to switch me to right.  My mother had to come to school and straighten them out!  

Plus, I felt it was harder using scissors, learning to tie shoes, etc.  

I am very left-handed!  I do everything with my left hand and struggle with my right! 

IMG_4957.JPG

@AngelPuppy1, same here. I was constantly was at odds with my teacher who, while she didn't try to make me switch hands, did try to insist I slant my paper and hold my pencil the same way as a rightie. My grandmother finally had to come to school and "enlighten" them. Writing on the chalkboard was was a nightmare as I watched what I just wrote get smudged away by my left hand. Spiral notebooks were the enemy and don't even get me started about the discrimination of right handed desks in high school. 🙄

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I like being left-handed, too!  Smiley Happy

But one oddity with me is that I'm totally not creative.  Maybe that was just quashed during my horrible childhood - I don't know.  But I'm about the least creative person there is.  I'm a very clinical, analytical thinker and if you come up with the idea and the visual, I can probably figure out how to do it.  I just won't be able to come up with the creative part.

I’m not creative either but I could analyze. I was an analyst for 30 yrs but math was not my favorite subject. 

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I am also a lefty.  I own a book on left-handers and it's very interesting that all these people and more are lefties. It's true the right side of the brain is the creative side and our thinking is diverse and creative.  I can work rings around some of my family members because I think differently.  When I was a second grader and we learned how to write cursive, the school sent us lefties to the third grade teacher to learn how to write.  She was left handed and taught us how to turn our paper so we didn't have to arch our arm to write the way right-handers do.  When I was in school we had the desks that were shaped to rest  the right arm when we wrote and that was difficult for us, as our left arm would not have support when we lefties wrote.  It was quite a challenging life.  But I'm proud to be left-handed. 

@luvmybeetle That's what I did.  No one showed me how to do it, I just did it on my own and thinking back, I'm surprised I wasn't wacked with the yardstick or pointer by the nuns!

Honored Contributor

7B7128B3-2068-425D-9DF0-5A11D1A88F2E.jpeg

@OKPrincess@CelticCrafter@Maltichonmom17@Cakers3@chickenbutt

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Count me in, but I use my right to throw a ball, and a bowling ball too.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 Love it. Anything you want kitty!

Honored Contributor

left handers run on both sides of our families.

My DD is a lefty all the way. 

my sister (oldest) was a lefty till she got into grade school and nuns rapped her on the knuckles once to many times, she learned to write with her right hand.

we think my youngest grandson may be a lefty but to early to tell just yet.