Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today is International Left handers day

I will tell my husband.  Lefty as is one of my granddaughters.  

Valued Contributor

Glad to find out that today is Lefties Day.

Through history lefties have been discriminated against. In the 1500-1600's left handed woman were accused of being witches! In many countries children were forced to change handedness, including the US, up until the 1950's. My grandfather, born in 1900, Russia, was forced to change. In Asian countries parents continue to discourage using the left hand and in Muslim countries it is disrespectful to shake or eat with the left hand.

However, many Presidents have been left handed. Obama, Clinton, George HW Bush, Ford, Truman, Garfield.

Also, RBG, Winston Churchill

Sir Paul, Jimi Hendrix, Lady Gaga, JustinBieber

Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates

Michaelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci

I am left handed and happy to be...except having to sit at those little right handed curved desks in college!!!!

Super Contributor

Southpaw here but I'm ambidextrous and can do a variety of things with my right hand, except write.  

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

It's observed every August 13th to celebrate our uniqueness and our differences, first observed on 1976. From one left handed to all of you other left handed folks have a great left handers day !!

In elementary school I remember several kids that were left handed.  One thing I noticed is that they always had good hand writing and they were smart.  This is what I observed.Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@lovemybichonfrise wrote:

Southpaw here but I'm ambidextrous and can do a variety of things with my right hand, except write.  

I'm righthanded but often find myself doing things with my left hand as well.  One night my husband complained about me eating with my left hand (we were seated next to each other and our hands kept hitting).  I tend to switch back and forth unconciously.

Man plans. God laughs.
Super Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

(I like this subject)

One thing I've always read is that left-handed people are supposed to be more creative.  Does this apply to others here?   Of course, the one who always seems to buck the rules of nature, I am totally NOT creative.

I actually have a double whammy in that I'm also a Scorpio and they, too, are supposed to be creative.

Somehow, when they were handing out creativity, I must have been hiding in the closet.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm a southpaw Scorpio also (11/14).  We are AWESOME so here's to US!! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I'm a lefty.  Only one in my family.  Growing up everyone in my family was a right handed but me.  Now my husband is right handed and thankfully my son is too. He won't have to go through what I went through.  Took me forever just to learn how to tie my shoe.  I couldn't cut meat very well.  Still don't know how to use a spatula correctly.  I have to use two of them to flip a burger. I eat with my left hand.  I have to sit at the end of the table.My handwriting is awful. But I was good in sports, especially throwing a ball.  i was a pitcher all through high school. I kicked with my right foot strangely enough. 

I was the only leftie in my entire family, which has dwindled over the years.  Both my parents were right-handed along with my two younger brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins.   When I was a baby/toddler, my mom tried to get me to use my right hand so she would hold my left hand to force me to grab for a toy, food, etc. with my left. I think she saw it as a defect.  My Italian grandmother (her mother and a very wise woman) read her the riot act when she saw what she was trying to do.  I was having none of it and would cry when she would do it.  I never thought about being lefthanded  as a setback in any way.  I also had a mean left throwing arm.  Its really sad that people in this world try to change what is not their so-called "norm."  

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids  I'm a lefty and also went to Catholic school.  It was a rule we had to use fountain pens and what a smeary mess for left handers! Because we lefties pull the pen across the paper while righties push the pen. 

I've read that only about 10% of lefthanders are 100% lefty.  Most use the right hand for some things. I'm one of the 10% that is completely left-handed. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Count me in, but I do throw a ball with my right hand. 

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV I never wrote the way many do, with the left arm circled around so no mess for me. I wrote with my left elbow out and my hand angled towards the paper. I never could understand how other lefties could write in that awkward position. So no smeared ink for me.