Respected Contributor

Re: Today is International Left handers day

@chickenbuttwrote:

Awesome!  Smiley Happy    13 is one of my favorite numbers and I'm left-handed.   I have always liked things like that where I'm not like most people.

There are probably more left-handed people than there used to be.  Fortunately, I missed that part where schools were making left-handed kids change to be right-handed.

My husband is also left-handed, but he's one of the ones who twists his hand over the writing implement.  That always looks so painful to me.

It was decades before I learned why a lot of left-handed people write like that.

I remember seeing the kids who twists their hand over the writing implement but I don't write that way. I write holding my pen or pencil the normal way if you know what I mean.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

OMG.  How do you celebrate being left-handed?

What is that supposed to mean?    I am a lefty and I celebrate my uniqueness.  It is often not easy but it's who I am and I am proud of it.  

What is what supposed to mean.  It's a question.  People are so touchy.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@chickenbuttwrote:

Awesome!  Smiley Happy    13 is one of my favorite numbers and I'm left-handed.   I have always liked things like that where I'm not like most people.

There are probably more left-handed people than there used to be.  Fortunately, I missed that part where schools were making left-handed kids change to be right-handed.

My husband is also left-handed, but he's one of the ones who twists his hand over the writing implement.  That always looks so painful to me.

It was decades before I learned why a lot of left-handed people write like that.

I remember seeing the kids who twists their hand over the writing implement but I don't write that way. I write holding my pen or pencil the normal way if you know what I mean.

Same here.   I guess some teachers, when kids were first learning to write, would tell them to take the paper and put it at about a 45 degree angle with the top of the page facing the left.

If you're right-handed, that's normal just like I angle my paper with the top facing the right.  But if you put it the other way, and are left-handed, the only way to write is to twist your wrist and hand around the top that way.   I don't even recall if I was told to do it that way or not.  Knowing me, I probably just did what makes sense to me, so I'm glad I never had to do that to be able to write.

Super Contributor

@Love my grandkids -I'm also 73 and the nuns never even mentioned using my right hand💗

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@chickenbuttwrote:

@Goodie2shoes I'm a lefty and went to Catholic school.  Thinking back, I'm really surprised that I was able to get away with changing the angle of the paper when the nuns put it down on the desk so I never had to curve my hand over the paper.   

Honored Contributor

DH is a lefty!  

His Mom always tried to make him eat right handed so it didn’t 

mess up her table seating.  ❓

Enjoy your Special Day!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

(I like this subject)

One thing I've always read is that left-handed people are supposed to be more creative.  Does this apply to others here?   Of course, the one who always seems to buck the rules of nature, I am totally NOT creative.

I actually have a double whammy in that I'm also a Scorpio and they, too, are supposed to be creative.

Somehow, when they were handing out creativity, I must have been hiding in the closet.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Both of my sons are Lefties

Respected Contributor

Now when it comes to ironing I do that chore right handed. I think it's because when I was a teen and living at home the ironing board was set up for all of the other family members who were right handed (my other 8 siblings and my parents) so I had to adjust. I do everything else left handed

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a lefty.  Only one in my family.  Growing up everyone in my family was a right handed but me.  Now my husband is right handed and thankfully my son is too. He won't have to go through what I went through.  Took me forever just to learn how to tie my shoe.  I couldn't cut meat very well.  Still don't know how to use a spatula correctly.  I have to use two of them to flip a burger. I eat with my left hand.  I have to sit at the end of the table.My handwriting is awful. But I was good in sports, especially throwing a ball.  i was a pitcher all through high school. I kicked with my right foot strangely enough.