Respected Contributor

Re: Today is International Left handers day

I'm a righty.  My husband's a lefty.  My one sister is a lefty too.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Awesome!  Smiley Happy    13 is one of my favorite numbers and I'm left-handed.   I have always liked things like that where I'm not like most people.

There are probably more left-handed people than there used to be.  Fortunately, I missed that part where schools were making left-handed kids change to be right-handed.

My husband is also left-handed, but he's one of the ones who twists his hand over the writing implement.  That always looks so painful to me.

It was decades before I learned why a lot of left-handed people write like that.

This may have a ring of truth to it because I heard a long time ago, that schools forced righthandedness on the kids.  I think that's wrong.  Everyone has their own unique dominant hand so no one should try to change that.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

(I like this subject)

One thing I've always read is that left-handed people are supposed to be more creative.  Does this apply to others here?   Of course, the one who always seems to buck the rules of nature, I am totally NOT creative.

I actually have a double whammy in that I'm also a Scorpio and they, too, are supposed to be creative.

Somehow, when they were handing out creativity, I must have been hiding in the closet.  Smiley Very Happy

Well, my one sister that's a lefty, she has penmanship to beat the band!  She could write greeting cards and she does it with such ease.  Her hand writing looks like type script, it's so pretty AND legible too.  I'm a righty and I can't write nicely for *****.  I try and try but just can't.

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Now when it comes to ironing I do that chore right handed. I think it's because when I was a teen and living at home the ironing board was set up for all of the other family members who were right handed (my other 8 siblings and my parents) so I had to adjust. I do everything else left handed

Funny you mentioned this.  Although I'm a righty, I do some things lefty.  I just feel more comfortable that way.  I think they call it "ambidextrous".  That is to say, both hands are dominant.  If that makes any sense.  I find that I need my left hand to reach for things and do things and I'd think....wait...am I not a righty?  oh well.....

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I'm a lefty.  Only one in my family.  Growing up everyone in my family was a right handed but me.  Now my husband is right handed and thankfully my son is too. He won't have to go through what I went through.  Took me forever just to learn how to tie my shoe.  I couldn't cut meat very well.  Still don't know how to use a spatula correctly.  I have to use two of them to flip a burger. I eat with my left hand.  I have to sit at the end of the table.My handwriting is awful. But I was good in sports, especially throwing a ball.  i was a pitcher all through high school. I kicked with my right foot strangely enough. 

AAAHHHHH!  Here's another post about this.  I consider myself righty but I canNOT cut meat with my right hand.  That MUST be lefty.  My brain just says, that's the hand you need to do that with.  LOL!

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

My Mom was left handed. She told me about how the nuns in school always tried to get her to write right handed. As if there was something wrong with being left handed. It sounded so cruel.

All except for one nun who was sympathetic and helpful, because she was also left handed. There is a lesson in that.

I had friends that went to Catholic school.  They lamented that the nuns hit them and were mean and made them right, righty and they had to wear those uniforms. 

However, on their side, my cup of tea looked great but I went to public school as we were Protestant and the school I attended, the teachers were nightmares.  We would all just sit while the teacher would shout and scream and freak out over someone batting an eyelash the wrong way.  oh boy.  No wonder I'm wreck....LOL...

Honored Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

(I like this subject)

One thing I've always read is that left-handed people are supposed to be more creative.  Does this apply to others here?   Of course, the one who always seems to buck the rules of nature, I am totally NOT creative.

I actually have a double whammy in that I'm also a Scorpio and they, too, are supposed to be creative.

Somehow, when they were handing out creativity, I must have been hiding in the closet.  Smiley Very Happy

Well, my one sister that's a lefty, she has penmanship to beat the band!  She could write greeting cards and she does it with such ease.  Her hand writing looks like type script, it's so pretty AND legible too.  I'm a righty and I can't write nicely for *****.  I try and try but just can't.

Lefty here.  My handwriting is pretty bad.  I now write print style.  Only way anyone can read my handwriting.  The worst experience (for any lefty) was in the Middle East.  The left hand is considered unclean.  I practiced writing and eating with my right hand ahead of time,, but I wasn't very good at it. I walked around with my left hand behind my back.

Respected Contributor

75% of the astronauts have been left-handed.

Also....

I have (only) one older sibing, same sex as me, who is left-handed.

My husband, also, has just one older sibling, also male, who is left-handed.

How weird!