Honored Contributor

Re: Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day (Shoah)

@Porcelain wrote:

Whenever we start referring to or treating a group of people as less than human, we are starting down that same road. We have ample evidence where it ends.

Yes. the "other," @Porcelain 

One detriment to progress against such horror might be to remember how it felt to you personally as part of a targeted group so that in the future, you will stand up for ANY besieged group, not just your own.

generic "you," of course.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Bless all the  innocent victims who died.  We must never, ever forget.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Whenever we start referring to or treating a group of people as less than human, we are starting down that same road. We have ample evidence where it ends.

Yes. the "other," @Porcelain 

One detriment to progress against such horror might be to remember how it felt to you personally as part of a targeted group so that in the future, you will stand up for ANY besieged group, not just your own.

generic "you," of course.

What bothers me is that we even see people in groups and not as the individuals they are.  This is a horrible horrible example of "just because" hatred.  

I read books about it and think "I can't read this" but I do because I can't look away. I know survivors and admire them more than I can say for their courage to on and live and love others as they do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Related image

Sometimes there are not enough candles.

Let there always be enough people to remember so that others will never be forgotten.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman  We visited Dachau in 1965 when my husband was stationed in Germany. 
   There was a chilling gloom about it that still haunts me. 
   It was sobering to see the hatred of that time. Even reading about it didn't prepare me for the experience. 
  Man's inhumanity to man continues but I pray will never again return to those dreadful times!

Trusted Contributor

@1Snickers  Thank you for putting into words what I could not.  I was about 13 or 14 at the time we went to Dachau and I remember what sounded like echos of moaning in the light wind that was blowing that day.  Even though we were children, the solemnity of that place was not lost on us. I wish every Holocaust denier would have to visit at least one of these camps and then tell me it never happened.

My father taught us a lesson that day that we would NEVER forget.  No one should forget the greatest crime of the 20th century.

Respected Contributor

My late FIL was a survivor at the Ukrainian ghetto. His entire family was shot, he was only 11 years old when he was left all alone on this Earth. I cannot even begin to imagine the fear of a child must have..... He has never spoken about his feelings. Tough old school I guess, neve4 became an alcoholic or drug addict or crazy ...

Never again

Respected Contributor

My husband and I went to Dachau too in 1994. We left sickened by what we saw and felt.
Never forget and teach your children about this particular time in our history.
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird

Thank you for this Post.

I went on a tour to Eastern Europe in 2005. It included a trip to Auschwitz.  This camp is a memorial to the beautiful people Jews and Christians who lost lives.

CNN online had a lovely story of a grandaughter  remembering her grandfather. He was a young seminary student in Poland. He was first sent to a concentration camp and then a death camp. He was freed by American forces. 

I hope we do not forget this time in history. 

Honored Contributor

I was born with a Jewish surname, and the family history on that side of my family remains (almost literally) shrouded in mystery. No one I knew or knew of practiced the Jewish Traditions, yet there were whispers of lost history.....

However clouded my possible connection to the Ancient Faith, I say "Never forget. NEVER LET THE YOUNG FORGET".