Esteemed Contributor

@FlyersGirl  what a great article!  🇺🇸

Honored Contributor

@May5 wrote:

To hckynut, why do you only fly the flag 352 days a year and not 365? Just wondering.

@hckynut  Paging you for @May5 .  May5, my guess is that John was thinking of 52 weeks in a year when he said 352 days.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Today is Flag Day

[ Edited ]

Immigrants at Ellis Island in 1916, the year my dear father arrived at Ellis Island from Greece.  I cannot imagine the courage it took to leave his father, mother, sister and two brothers behind so that he could come to the "new world" to make a life for himself and help out his family back in Greece.  He did that dutifully, sending them back money to live.  In addition, he paid for his one brother's dental school and office equipment as well as his sister's dowry.  We were "farm folk" in Greece and came from a tiny village.  America was a land of golden opportunity.

My father traveled (steerage, of course) with his uncle and aunt to the U.S. and lived with them on the Lower East Side of NYC until they all moved to Maryland.  That is where they put down their roots.    

This is the story of all of us unless we have pure American Indian blood.

ETA:    Some of our ancestors did not come here voluntarily but were forced to do so.   We cannot forget that.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Thanks for bailing me out. You are right, my mind got scrambled somehow, but it happens quite often. Think I bess go back and do a bit of correcting!  🙄

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@May5 

Got that corrected thanks to @NickNack  helping me out. Sometimes I ain't hitting on many brain cells.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I celebrate Flag Day because it is Flag Day,

and also because it is my sister's birthday.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, I don't know how to post it on here but if you have a chance google the following:

****Do You Remember Me? An Open Letter From The Flag To The People*****

Honored Contributor

John,

I hope you won't be hard on yourself about that mix-up.  I do that same sort of thing very often myself.  

Why does it happen? I often wonder.   I think it is because our mind thinks of several things at the same time or, when we are thinking of a topic, quickly connects to something similar and -- voilà -- there is the original thought that somehow has combined with a similar or related thought.

I just like to say I have "an associative mind."  LOL    

Super Contributor

Yes, STAND for our flag!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Immigrants at Ellis Island in 1916, the year my dear father arrived at Ellis Island from Greece.  I cannot imagine the courage it took to leave his father, mother, sister and two brothers behind so that he could come to the "new world" to make a life for himself and help out his family back in Greece.  He did that dutifully, sending them back money to live.  In addition, he paid for his one brother's dental school and office equipment as well as his sister's dowry.  We were "farm folk" in Greece and came from a tiny village.  America was a land of golden opportunity.

My father traveled (steerage, of course) with his uncle and aunt to the U.S. and lived with them on the Lower East Side of NYC until they all moved to Maryland.  That is where they put down their roots.    

This is the story of all of us unless we have pure American Indian blood.

ETA:    Some of our ancestors did not come here voluntarily but were forced to do so.   We cannot forget that.

What a haunting picture of immigrants coming into Ellis Island... Such a rich national history, we have... All of it worth remembering... And, of course, we also can't forget that those among us who do have pure American Indian blood or even partial Native American blood hail from among those who have been probably the most mistreated, abused and discriminated against population to inhabit this land... Our great nation has some definite pockmarks and among them, too often forgotten and not often the cause for furor, is the virtual destruction of its native peoples.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...