Honored Contributor
What a great way to get the kids to write creatively...hilarious!
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 croemer said:

That's hilarious.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 terrier3 said:
On 11/21/2014 sidsmom said:
On 11/21/2014 terrier3 said:
On 11/21/2014 sidsmom said:

I'm assuming you're working with children. I'm glad the emotion of 'I'm sorry' is introduced. Hopefully they will make the mind-body connection & have the parental guidance to realize eating animals are unnecessary. You've planted the seed for compassion & humanity.

Maybe so - but is it a teacher's place to do this????

No, but it's a start.

If it's not the teacher's place - she needs to mind her own business.

Her job is to teach reading, writing and math - NOT morals and values.

I thought we were supposed to be a village. Someone needs to teach children from where their food comes. There are children who haven't a clue that apples grow on trees and potatoes in the ground.

I commend the teacher and anyone who teaches morals, they're seriously lacking in today's society.

Super Contributor
On 11/21/2014 wookie said:

OP, I find your class activity very odd. Not sure why you strayed from the typical Thanksgiving theme most of us are familiar with. As a parent, I would have been disappointed, and probably annoyed.

We've been doing typical Thanksgiving activities for the past week. This was just a silly, fun one that lasted 30 minutes. No big deal and the kids loved it. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
On 11/21/2014 kdgn said:

Oh for Pete's Sake.... These are little guys and none of you have any idea what led up to the little essays or what followed them. Vegetarians? In my 30+ years of teaching I never had a single one in my classroom. In fact, I never heard any teacher say there was one in their room. I know one in real life and it has nothing to do with the usual reasons: she does it for health reasons and would love to have a steak or burger every now and then.

Lighten up folks.

I've had one vegetarian student in my 10 years of teaching. She was such a quirky, interesting little girl. I miss her.

Super Contributor
On 11/21/2014 oceantown said:

Is this for real?

I don't think so.

Does anyone know what grade this is supposed to be?

First grade. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
On 11/21/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 11/21/2014 reese2 said:
On 11/21/2014 CouponQueen said:
On 11/21/2014 kdgn said:

Oh for Pete's Sake.... These are little guys and none of you have any idea what led up to the little essays or what followed them. Vegetarians? In my 30+ years of teaching I never had a single one in my classroom. In fact, I never heard any teacher say there was one in their room. I know one in real life and it has nothing to do with the usual reasons: she does it for health reasons and would love to have a steak or burger every now and then.

Lighten up folks.

I agree! I think they are responding to the poster and not the content...

I can assure you that I responded to the project itself, not the poster.

Me, too.

I absolutely responded to the project and not the poster so cut the holier-than-thou attitude! In fact, on another thread I mentioned that I noticed this particular poster seemed to garner quite a few deriding comments whenever she/he posted, and I questioned as to why that was the case; particularly when others seemed to be able to post heaven-knows-what and get nothing but sympathy and kind responses. I have nothing against this poster, but that project does not sit well with me. That's MY viewpoint!

Frequent Contributor

As a retired English teacher, I was taught and always put into practice that when you give students a writing assignment, you give them more than one option. That way, they are more likely to find an idea/topic to which they can relate. Children come from a variety of backgrounds and have had disparate experiences. Options provide an opportunity to get their best writing.

Honored Contributor

I also respond to the topic and not the poster.

I just don't happen to think this was a good lesson for the kids. Most of the time, I've actually agreed with "Joselyn", in regards to education topics.

(heck....I was even one of the unpopular ones who thought she was right when she corrected a girl's pronunciation of the word "bathroom")

Super Contributor

We're also going to write the steps in building a snowman with the overall bulletin board title -- Do You Want to Build a Snowman? (Of course! What else would it be?) Smiley Happy