Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 brii said:

Most little kids are not vegetarians unless their parents are.

My neighbor has a kid who is a vegetarian and they are big meat eaters.

Not that he's typical.

Respected Contributor
On 11/21/2014 kdgn said:

Oh for Pete's Sake.... These are little guys and none of you have any idea what led up to the little essays or what followed them. Vegetarians? In my 30+ years of teaching I never had a single one in my classroom. In fact, I never heard any teacher say there was one in their room. I know one in real life and it has nothing to do with the usual reasons: she does it for health reasons and would love to have a steak or burger every now and then.

Lighten up folks.

Interesting. I guess it is dependent upon the school. My kids always were familiar with vegetarian classmates. In fact when I had birthday parties for both my kids a good percentage of the kids didn't eat meat. Some were vegan and this was a good twenty years ago.

Honored Contributor

I meet more and more young people who are vegetarians.

Certainly a lot more than when I was a little kid.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 11/21/2014 brii said:

Not that he's typical.

My youngest doesn't like meat. She never really did.

Out of all their friends, maybe 1 or 2 has declared they are a vegetarian.

But most little kids who don't eat meat just don't like meat.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 brii said:
On 11/21/2014 brii said:

Not that he's typical.

That makes sense as I doubt most little kids would really understand what being a vegetarian means.

Honored Contributor

I do not think it is a good idea to "humanize" animals. How many of those kids are going to think of this when that piece of turkey is plopped on their plate ? I grew up on a farm and my parents were very careful that we were not ever allowed to play with, pet or give names to the animals. We raised pigs and each and every one of them sooner or later went to slaughter. My dad did not want a house full of crying children every year, and they didn't want us refusing to eat because we knew where the meat came from.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 brii said:

I think it's weird.

I did too but I was going to refrain from posting. But since you did......

I don't think there was anything about this project meant to raise any kind of awareness about anything. I think it was meant to be funny. I just don't find it funny.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 11/21/2014 brii said:

I think it's weird.

I did too but I was going to refrain from posting. But since you did......

I don't think there was anything about this project meant to raise any kind of awareness about anything. I think it was meant to be funny. I just don't find it funny.

ITA!

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 happy housewife said:

I do not think it is a good idea to "humanize" animals. How many of those kids are going to think of this when that piece of turkey is plopped on their plate ? I grew up on a farm and my parents were very careful that we were not ever allowed to play with, pet or give names to the animals. We raised pigs and each and every one of them sooner or later went to slaughter. My dad did not want a house full of crying children every year, and they didn't want us refusing to eat because we knew where the meat came from.

I have a friend who buys his meat from local people. A guy he knows raised pigs for the first time this year. A good local restaurant bought several pigs and my friend got one too.

He said that the day the pigs went to slaughter was very sad. When the truck came to pick them up, the pigs went crazy. A guy from the slaughterhouse who was there to pick up the animals punched one in the snout and it started bleeding. My friend said the farmer went nuts and said NO ONE had the right to treat an animal that way!!!

He pulled out that pig and is keeping him as a pet.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 brii said:
On 11/21/2014 brii said:

Not that he's typical.

That makes sense as I doubt most little kids would really understand what being a vegetarian means.

I would agree with this statement. There are adults who also think being vegetarian just means they don't eat meat.