Honored Contributor

Maybe OP should have pardoned a turkey in her class.

Honored Contributor

I'm assuming you're working with children. I'm glad the emotion of 'I'm sorry' is introduced. Hopefully they will make the mind-body connection & have the parental guidance to realize eating animals are unnecessary. You've planted the seed for compassion & humanity.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 sidsmom said:

I'm assuming you're working with children. I'm glad the emotion of 'I'm sorry' is introduced. Hopefully they will make the mind-body connection & have the parental guidance to realize eating animals are unnecessary. You've planted the seed for compassion & humanity.

Maybe so - but is it a teacher's place to do this????

Respected Contributor
On 11/20/2014 sfnative said:

I think it wrong to require students to write such an essay. If I were in that class, I would have refused. If my daughter had been in that class, I would have had words with the Headmaster the following day!

We prepare turkey purchased from Trader Joe's, which is the center of our feast. In doing so, we remember those who first colonized our country and lived through extremes just to get from one day to another. I am thankful for my turkey dinner and that I live in a Republic.

I am usually the stick in the mud one but in thie case I don't see anything wrong with it..we need to lighten up a bit..and have a bit of tongue in cheek. I realize often people respond to the poster and not the contents..

but reality is we need to lighten up sometimes and have a bit of fun..

Super Contributor

Was it meant to be funny? I find it rather sad if that is the case... A turkey is a living feeling bird.... and maybe the children need to see the life the turkey had prior to its slaughter? See where the turkeys are raised... see the plant where they grow up and die.... THAT perspective would be helpful in the children realizing where their food comes from. They should come out of it grateful for that bird giving its life for their holiday.

I think people forget that... and get all engrossed in just consuming and eating and partying. If Thanksgiving is to be thankful.... than people need to remember that.

Valued Contributor
On 11/21/2014 wookie said:

OP, I find your class activity very odd. Not sure why you strayed from the typical Thanksgiving theme most of us are familiar with. As a parent, I would have been disappointed, and probably annoyed.

I agree.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 sidsmom said:

I don't think compassion and/or humanity were the intent.

I think they were all just making funnies about it.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 AnnaBella said:

Was it meant to be funny? I find it rather sad if that is the case... A turkey is a living feeling bird.... and maybe the children need to see the life the turkey had prior to its slaughter? See where the turkeys are raised... see the plant where they grow up and die.... THAT perspective would be helpful in the children realizing where their food comes from. They should come out of it grateful for that bird giving its life for their holiday.

I would agree.

And then a discussion on the farming industry could follow.

Raising awareness.

Honored Contributor

I think it's weird.

Super Contributor
On 11/21/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 11/21/2014 AnnaBella said:

I would agree.

And then a discussion on the farming industry could follow.

Raising awareness.

Thank-you!