Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 Joselyn33 said:
On 11/20/2014 september said:

What did the vegetarian children write about?{#emotions_dlg.bored}

I'm serious about this question, because when my kids were in school...there were many of their classmates who didn't eat meat. I remember one of them explaining ""tofurkey" to me. They had it every year, and he looked forward to it.

I don't have any vegetarians in my class.

That's kind of unusual. Where I live now, where I used to live, and in points in between...I'd say about 20% of the people I know, are vegetarians. Again...I'm not, and my own two kids aren't...but every time we get together with our other family members or friends, there are always at least a few vegetarians in the group.

Honored Contributor

My children eat meat..always have, but I think if they had to do a project in school like that....I would have thought it rather weird. It might have turned some meat-eaters into vegetarians, I think.

Native Americans can correct me if I'm wrong on this...but I think they say a prayer of thanks before they eat meat...but don't say they're sorry to the animal for eating it?

I believe they thank them for providing them food.

Very respectful.

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

My children eat meat..always have, but I think if they had to do a project in school like that....I would have thought it rather weird. It might have turned some meat-eaters into vegetarians, I think.

Native Americans can correct me if I'm wrong on this...but I think they say a prayer of thanks before they eat meat...but don't say they're sorry to the animal for eating it?

I agree. Most kids repress the fact that they are eating an animal, at least city kids. Perhaps it devastated some kids to bring it to the forefront.

Honored Contributor

Of course, we don't HAVE TO eat them for Thanksgiving.

Lots of people don't.

Kids should have options, too.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

Very respectful.

I'm with you, Kitty. The animals deserve our THANKS for nourishing us.

It's the cycle of life - nothing to feel guilty about.

This is why I think it's important to buy meat from small local farms that treat their livestock well - not just as commodities.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 terrier3 said:
On 11/21/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

Very respectful.

I'm with you, Kitty. The animals deserve our THANKS for nourishing us.

It's the cycle of life - nothing to feel guilty about.

This is why I think it's important to buy meat from small local farms that treat their livestock well - not just as commodities.

ITA!!!

I am vehemently opposed to factory farming.

Valued Contributor

OP, I find your class activity very odd. Not sure why you strayed from the typical Thanksgiving theme most of us are familiar with. As a parent, I would have been disappointed, and probably annoyed.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 wookie said:

OP, I find your class activity very odd. Not sure why you strayed from the typical Thanksgiving theme most of us are familiar with. As a parent, I would have been disappointed, and probably annoyed.

I agree.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 wookie said:

Agreed.

Eating meat is nothing to feel SORRY about.

Who wants kids to feel guilty at their Thanksgiving tables?

I'm surprised parents don't object.