Esteemed Contributor

I don't agree with having children apologize for eating a turkey. That just seems wrong on so many levels. If my son had been asked to do this at a young age, I think he would probably have cried about it when he got home from school-we are both such animal lovers.

I do eat meat and poultry, but not much. And every time I see a news report about how some of these animals are raised and slaughtered, I vow never to eat meat or poultry again. And I have cut down considerably. (Example: such as the video of SP from the 2008 VP run talking in front of a guy stuffing a live turkey head first down a grinder - something I don't ever want to see again!) Then I saw an excerpt about gestational pigs being kept in wire cages so small they can't even turn over.

And now this - children apologizing for eating a turkey? I think I'm three steps closer to becoming a vegetarian-just about there! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 Joselyn33 said:

We're also going to write the steps in building a snowman with the overall bulletin board title -- Do You Want to Build a Snowman? (Of course! What else would it be?) Smiley Happy

Now that song is in my head. LOL

That sounds cute.

Respected Contributor

Like the snowman idea, dislike the apologizing to the turkey idea.

Love the writing. Just not that idea. And the one statement about it only matters if the kids like the idea is iffy to me, because we all know we can't leave all decisions on whether or not a kid likes it.

(go ahead, tell me to lighten up)

Respected Contributor

My boys would have had fun with it, my daughter is very sensitive towards animals (yes, she is a vegetarian). I guess the kids will write letters to pigs thanking them for the Christmas ham. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor
On 11/22/2014 sfnative said:
On 11/21/2014 CouponQueen said:
On 11/20/2014 sfnative said:

I think it wrong to require students to write such an essay. If I were in that class, I would have refused. If my daughter had been in that class, I would have had words with the Headmaster the following day!

We prepare turkey purchased from Trader Joe's, which is the center of our feast. In doing so, we remember those who first colonized our country and lived through extremes just to get from one day to another. I am thankful for my turkey dinner and that I live in a Republic.

I am usually the stick in the mud one but in thie case I don't see anything wrong with it..we need to lighten up a bit..and have a bit of tongue in cheek. I realize often people respond to the poster and not the contents..

but reality is we need to lighten up sometimes and have a bit of fun..

I won't lighten up when it concerns an assignment in which the students are made to write an apology. This is wrong on many levels and is not at all funny nor should be made to appear to put a lighter touch on Thanksgiving.

I agree with you, sfnative.

Trusted Contributor
On 11/22/2014 Joselyn33 said:
I won't lighten up when it concerns an assignment in which the students are made to write an apology. This is wrong on many levels and is not at all funny nor should be made to appear to put a lighter touch on Thanksgiving.

My children disagree with you and they're the only ones who matter. Smiley Happy

I am surprised to see your outlook on this, Joselyn.

Especially for 1st graders.

Just because the children outwardly seem OK with this assignment, it certainly does not mean that inside they are not troubled about this apology they were asked to write.

This even goes against the meaning of what an apology is, why we apologize, what is forgiveness, etc.

You are not there to give assignments that "please" the students.

You can make this seem lighthearted, but these underlying issues are serious. Each moment we have with children is a teaching moment, and it is important to look at what you are teaching them.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/22/2014 oceantown said:
On 11/22/2014 Joselyn33 said:

My children disagree with you and they're the only ones who matter. Smiley Happy

I am surprised to see your outlook on this, Joselyn.

Especially for 1st graders.

Just because the children outwardly seem OK with this assignment, it certainly does not mean that inside they are not troubled about this apology they were asked to write.

This even goes against the meaning of what an apology is, why we apologize, what is forgiveness, etc.

You are not there to give assignments that "please" the students.

You can make this seem lighthearted, but these underlying issues are serious. Each moment we have with children is a teaching moment, and it is important to look at what you are teaching them.

"You are not there to give assignments that "please" the students."

I could show you a middle school principal, two assistant principals, PTO president, and a whole bunch of my co-workers who believe just the opposite. Students are our customers, and the customer is always right. (Our students don't fabricate stories!) We are there to serve them and make them happy. Learning should always be fun. Period.

Super Contributor

Students are our customers - the customer is always right - learning should be fun. Period.

You've just got to be kidding!!! I'm not even going to go into the whys and wherefores of this but it's one of the most ridiculous and insensitive statements I've ever seen.

Oh, the Holocaust was real fun, wasn't it? And all the wars in history???

Respected Contributor

The Holocaust was exactly my first thought, nothing fun about teaching that.

The same people who teach kids learning will always be fun will educate a generation who think their jobs will always be fun.

Neither are true, nor should they be.

Respected Contributor

Students are always right?

I missed that class.