Trusted Contributor
On 11/21/2014 Joselyn33 said:
On 11/21/2014 oceantown said:

Is this for real?

I don't think so.

Does anyone know what grade this is supposed to be?

First grade. Smiley Happy

I'm glad I homeschooled.

Honored Contributor

I think that the steps involved in building a snowman...encourage planning, and starting and finishing a project. So ..I'm on board with this.

(but then again...where I live...most kids will never do this!...just like when I said on the other thread, that there are a lot of vegetarians where I live. Some people just can't imagine that life everywhere isn't like it is where they live)

Honored Contributor

And my last post was not a dig at you, Joselyn, because now that I've posted it...I know people will read ill-intent into it. Just noting regional differences.....

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/21/2014 CouponQueen said:
On 11/20/2014 sfnative said:

I think it wrong to require students to write such an essay. If I were in that class, I would have refused. If my daughter had been in that class, I would have had words with the Headmaster the following day!

We prepare turkey purchased from Trader Joe's, which is the center of our feast. In doing so, we remember those who first colonized our country and lived through extremes just to get from one day to another. I am thankful for my turkey dinner and that I live in a Republic.

I am usually the stick in the mud one but in thie case I don't see anything wrong with it..we need to lighten up a bit..and have a bit of tongue in cheek. I realize often people respond to the poster and not the contents..

but reality is we need to lighten up sometimes and have a bit of fun..

I won't lighten up when it concerns an assignment in which the students are made to write an apology. This is wrong on many levels and is not at all funny nor should be made to appear to put a lighter touch on Thanksgiving.

Super Contributor
On 11/21/2014 september said:

And my last post was not a dig at you, Joselyn, because now that I've posted it...I know people will read ill-intent into it. Just noting regional differences.....

No prob. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
On 11/22/2014 sfnative said:
I won't lighten up when it concerns an assignment in which the students are made to write an apology. This is wrong on many levels and is not at all funny nor should be made to appear to put a lighter touch on Thanksgiving.

My children disagree with you and they're the only ones who matter. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
On 11/21/2014 Preds said:

I love this, Preds!

My daughter has not touched pork products of any kind since she read "A Day No Pigs Would Die", a coming-of-age novel by Robert Newton Peck, in the fifth grade or thereabouts. Thankfully, we are not big on eating pork in this house.

Trusted Contributor
On 11/21/2014 Joselyn33 said:

Is this for real?

I don't think so.

Does anyone know what grade this is supposed to be?

First grade. Smiley Happy

I'm glad I homeschooled.

I'm glad I didn't.

To each his own. Cheers!

Esteemed Contributor

I teach middle school. In my class we wrote about a person we're grateful to have in our lives and an object that we're thankful to have in our lives. The essays about the important people in our lives brought tears to my eyes!

The essays about the important objects were mostly about how grateful they are to have a cell phone. I modeled an essay about how thankful I am to have a washing machine, and I described what my life was like when I didn't have one. Only two students mentioned how important a cell phone would be if they had an emergency. The others rambled on and on about the game apps and texting features--how they just couldn't live without them!

Super Contributor
On 11/22/2014 wildcat fan said:

I teach middle school. In my class we wrote about a person we're grateful to have in our lives and an object that we're thankful to have in our lives. The essays about the important people in our lives brought tears to my eyes!

We do that too. Many children said they were thankful for their family, God and good food. We also discussed what our gifts/talents are after reading a Native American book. I think it's interesting watching the kids realize who they are and why they're special. Smiley Happy