Respected Contributor
On 11/22/2014 LaterGator said:

Kids don't think with the same logic that older people do. We older people make everything cut and dry, whereas, 6 or 7 year olds think in wonderland. This assignment was completely realistic for first graders. I bet you got some very creative answers too, Mellie. Talking to a turkey would be fun. Gooble, Gooble

But it can make them sad too. Some children are sensitive and take these things to heart. You never know what they'll get upset over and remember.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor
On 11/23/2014 Joselyn33 said:
On 11/23/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

Hello, Joselyn33. Smile

How'd the kids respond to it?

They were giggling. Smiley Happy

I think the little ones knew it was only meant to be fun. I don't think anyone was trying to hurt anybody. Smile

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Super Contributor
On 11/23/2014 Sawn said: Jeesh! Much ado about nothing....I've heard better ideas for a Thanksgiving essay, but for heaven's sake, lighten up, people!

You're the second or third person who has advised others to 'lighten up'. Why? Since the OP started this thread, she obviously wanted and expected responses, either pro or con. And what is 'nothing' to you, obviously means 'something' to others!

Trusted Contributor
On 11/23/2014 Issiestorm said:
On 11/23/2014 Sawn said: Jeesh! Much ado about nothing....I've heard better ideas for a Thanksgiving essay, but for heaven's sake, lighten up, people!

You're the second or third person who has advised others to 'lighten up'. Why? Since the OP started this thread, she obviously wanted and expected responses, either pro or con. And what is 'nothing' to you, obviously means 'something' to others!

Respected Contributor

Guess I'm in trouble here too. I've been putting a speech bubble on the board each day with a cartoon turkey asking the class to eat something other than turkey for Thanksgiving. Kids are finding it amusing.

Anyway, as a kid, I didn't really connect live turkeys, chickens, cows, etc., with the meat on my plate. I'm a big animal fan and it would've been hard for me to grow up on a farm where I helped raise the animals only to send them to be butchered.

Right now, I'm mostly a no meat person. I will eat turkey this Thursday but then I'll go back to other sources of protein for my meals. I've probably eaten meat 10 or 15 times this year and I'm fine without it. And when I passed the stock trailer on the interstate last week, I saw the pig snouts sticking out the small openings and didn't have to feel guilty that my eating habits are responsible for their trip to the slaughterhouse.

-Kalli

Honored Contributor
On 11/23/2014 newziesuzie said:

Kids don't think with the same logic that older people do. We older people make everything cut and dry, whereas, 6 or 7 year olds think in wonderland. This assignment was completely realistic for first graders. I bet you got some very creative answers too, Mellie. Talking to a turkey would be fun. Gooble, Gooble

But it can make them sad too. Some children are sensitive and take these things to heart. You never know what they'll get upset over and remember.

That's so true. When my son was in preschool, he brought home an art project that he was very proud of. It was a lamb with cotton balls glued on to its body, for the wool. Then he asked me the daily question: "What are we having for dinner tonight?"

I answered "Lamb chops!" then he said...."I don't want to eat that" He's never liked lamb....since then.

Super Contributor
On 11/23/2014 september said:
On 11/23/2014 newziesuzie said:

That's so true. When my son was in preschool, he brought home an art project that he was very proud of. It was a lamb with cotton balls glued on to its body, for the wool. Then he asked me the daily question: "What are we having for dinner tonight?"

I answered "Lamb chops!" then he said...."I don't want to eat that" He's never liked lamb....since then.

Your son sounds like a sensitive and caring person.

Super Contributor

Today we read 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving where the kids save all the turkeys from being eaten. They loved it too. Smiley Happy

Contributor

I like the white turkey meat.

Trusted Contributor
On 11/25/2014 Helen Erth said:

I like the white turkey meat.

How very bland and boring.