Honored Contributor

Re: Today in Washington

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 

You can’t know that.

I can remember so many of the experiences I had as a young child, and the things I certainly did understand.  Some do tend to underestimate the understanding of a child.

So many always asking, ‘can’t we have some happy posts’ -

Guess Not.

As for being used, she looks quite happy to me.

@kitcat51 wrote:

The child doesn't  know who she is...just ridiculous. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: Today in Washington

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51   I'm thinking back to the funeral procession for JFK and John John Kennedy about that age saluted his father's casket as it went by. You can bet your ...., he knew what/who was happening. 

***Sorry, just can't let that one stand as is. So very wrong to young children everywhere and an insult to their intelligence. 

Honored Contributor

Personally I would salute anyone who beat cancer as many times as she did. And who worked while undergoing cancer treatments numerous times. And if I had kids I would tell them that's definitely worthy of a salute, let alone her other accomplishments. And I wouldn't give a carp what anyone else thinks of that.

This place never disappoints...yeah, that's it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51, you'd be surprised. A whole new generation had come to understanding and appreciating RBG. This young one has probably been schooled by her parents. She may not grasp all the legal aspects but can surely understand what it means to be an important figure who fought for her country.

I'm sorry that you think is is just ridiculous.

Oh please...let kids be mids & stop using them .There's  no way that ,little girl dressed herself & said lets go...her parents dressed her that way for attention &  I wouldn't  be surprised if they end up on GMA. Ugh.

Actually, I tend to agree with you. The kid is essentially a prop and as much as there is to admire about Ms. Ginsburg, last time I looked, salutes tend to be a military and commander in chief kind of thing... Don't think we're yet saluting Supreme Court justices...

lol She's a little girl, not an army officer.

A lot of little girls look up to women from the past and present who have done great things and they very much know who their heroines are. And yes of course parents instill their values in their children, values such as equality and justice for all. As it should be and always has been.

Millennials and even the oldest of Gen Z are starting to have families of their own. Get ready for lots of change going forward.

To those who are upset right now, know that the old ways are dying. That's the reason for all the chaos and desperation. We have to create new. And the young are going to be the ones to do it. We will benefit from their honest and open hearts.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

After thinking about this more, I salute the parents for "using" their daughter in this way. And I salute them for garnering attention. And I salute them for giving their daugter a wonderful moment in time that I bet you she remembers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

...and when that little girl grows older and studies this dark, turbulent, awful time in history, she won't have to ask her parents "what did YOU do"?

She can look at the picture and know.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

Ain’t it the truth?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

They will use this wonderful photo in her political ads when she runs for president some day. I love it! 🙏

Super Contributor

I think it's fine to disagree sometimes, but can't some posters let that stand rather than be demeaning.

Esteemed Contributor

It's never too early to teach children about people who fight for the rights of others. Children learn fairy tales and learn about superhero figures. They can learn about human heroes. I find young parents today talk more openly with their children than my parents' generation and good for these young parents! Since 1920 - women's right to vote - women should have had more victories. Thanks to brave people, the world gets better. You can give people a compliment even if you don't agree with them 100%. If we all withhold goodness - our world will end up in the dumpster.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau