Regular Contributor

Re: Today Show today: Bode Miller's Daughter's Drowning

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

When tragedies like this happen in our area, it is always carried by the local news. Yes, Gofundme accounts are set up and locals contribute. It's not just celebrities. Oh, and I think Bodie has enough money that he didn't need a Gofundme me account.

Honored Contributor

When my kids were little and I was with them alone I left the door open to the bathroom and at times had them in their bouncies in the bathroom while I showered. But no, I don’t think it’s possible to ALWAYS keep tabs because you have to sleep but prevention by either not having a pool, installing safety devices, not going to places where there are pools with no safety devices would prevent most Pool drowning accidents. 

The only thing that gives me pause about this story is the gofundme account.  They can request to have their friend take it down or donate the money to prevention efforts. There are very few medical bills if any, (maybe I’m wrong) with an accidental death that I’m aware of and they seem financially secure enough to handle expenses or could liquidate assets if needed.  

Honored Contributor

I think it's reprehensible in this case or many others to sit in judgment. There but for the grace of God... .

I turned my back for a few seconds in a department store, and my little daughter was gone. I found her quickly, but to this day, I can barely breathe when reliving it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 I so agree. A child has died as a result of a tragic accident and strangers play the blame game (as they sit back in their glass houses, breathing rarified air). I also feel this way about children accidentally left in hot cars. People can say "I would never...." all they want, until something happens to them or theirs and then they expect mercy. Grrrrrrrr.

Honored Contributor

I had 2  babies,in a year an a half ,and I developed a form of colitis. When I felt an attack coming on, I took them into the bathroom with me, and shut the door. I did it to make sure they were all right. I was a sick as a dog, and couldn't have moved, if my life depended on it, and I knew it.

However ,I would never in a million years, attack this poor lady, for what had happened. All of our lives dangle by such a slender thread, any of us could be gone in the blink of an eye. That poor lady needs compassion and gentleness ,to get her though this

I would never want to make  this  terrible tragedy, a weapon to strike out at those ,suffering the most, over this

May God give her strength, and courage, to find a way  to move on, and help her family lead a happy life together.. God bless them all ,and cradle them in His love

Lord keep my words sweet, for someday, I may be forced to eat them

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  the same thing happened to my husband and I. My daughter ran ahead of us and out the door at JC Pennys. We had our back to her and never saw it happen I nearly died for a few minutes, All at once, a wonderful  young man came walking in, with my daughter on his shoulder. I couldn't thank him enough. My daughter couldn't open the door to get back inside, he found her crying. She was only a couple of yards from us. We never thought to look outside

I took my daughter by the hand and gently told her she must always stay right where I could see her ,when we shopped. She never did it again, and I always made sure she was only a touch away

I was blessed so much, and I know it. Just because someone else wasn't that fortunate ,makes me realize even now, how bad things can happen in the split of a second, when both parents are right there. It only takes such a small amount of time for tragedy to strike

Dear God bless that mother,I wish I could give her a hug

Respected Contributor

When my daughter was 4 and we had just moved to a new home, she got out of bed before sunrise, opened the basement door and let herself outside. The door shut and locked behind her. It was summer and all our windows were closed and several window unit air conditioners were running. I didn't hear a thing until my doorbell rang. Imagine my shock when I answered the door and there stood my neighbor holding my daughter who was hysterically crying. He said "Are you hung over? You didn't hear your kid screaming in your backyard?"(which thankfully was fenced) I was mortified. My daughter could have been hurt or worse! That neighbor never spoke to me again and always looked at me in judgement from that point on.

Respected Contributor

The truth is awful things happen in life & will continue to happen. I'm not surprised at the thoughtless comments & posters sniping at each other. RIP Emeline.

Honored Contributor

Laws vary from state to state and even county, city, township, etc. regarding pools.  In my area we are required to have a fenced in yard if you have a pool but not a fence directly around the pool.

In many townships, which are typically more rural areas, there isn't even the requirement to have a fence at all.  You can have any type of pool, built-in or above ground, just out in your yard.

And then there are the man-made lakes and ponds that have nothing around them. We've had children here drown in them as well.