Honored Contributor

Re: Today Show today: Bode Miller's Daughter's Drowning

I feel so sorry for them  I don't know how you ever get over something like this?  May they find peace

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

What kind of fence are you all thinking should have been around the pool?

The article says the kids were playing inside the house and this little girl went out the door into the backyard.

I know many people with pools. I don't know one person that has a fence right around the pool that you have to go through to get to the pool. 

People have fences around their backyard where the pool is located but once you are in the backyard, the pool is there. 

My relatives have a built-in pool and 2 small children.  All doors leading out of the house are locked if the kids are inside.  All the doors have locks towards the top where a child cannot reach.

Their pool also has a cover that can withstand the weight of an adult falling on it and you won't drown.  You can actually walk on it.  

We have a wrought iron fence around our pool and a regular wooden fence around our property.  In our county, not sure if it is the whole state, you are required to either do that or have some kind of an alarm system on the doors when you have a pool.  At least that was the case 20 years ago when we put in our pool.  We opted for the wrought iron as that extra step.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie- did you also bring your children into the bathroom with you?

Super Contributor

I didn't catch the entire segment this morning.  The part I did see was heartbreaking.  The dad did point out that their mission is to make other parents aware that the same could happen to their child.  He said he had taken the children to many doctor appointments and not once was safety brought up, particularly pool safety.  

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

That's what playpens are for.

Honored Contributor

I do feel it would be wise to have a fence around a pool,  locking gates,safety should come first.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

This was so heartbreaking to watch. The mother was so hard on herself. She hopes she feels less guilty w/time. Its easy to judge from the outside, this was just an accident. yes, it could have been prevented. There ar plenty of if only's but it is what it is, gone too early.

Hopefully the parents can pick up the pieces & take care of each other. Its hard but they really have something to focus on - the kids especially the unborn! All this pain, hopefully the baby isn't affected! Michael Phelps has a similar program, teaching young kids water safety. At some point I hope they team up on this common cause! 

Respected Contributor

I watched Morgan Miller on Channel 4 describing "that morning". It was truly tragic to listen to what happened. I do have a feeling there might have been a bit more time lapse then what she made it appear to be. Sorry, but baby Emmy should have been sitting w/Morgan or she should have been walking behind Emmy instead of sitting and enjoying having tea.
Rip Beautiful baby Emmy..
Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

@bathina wrote:

That's what playpens are for.

Still waiting for @Shawnie to explain how she watched her children every second of the day. Or could it be that she has no idea what it's like to raise children and has no real life perspective on how a mother could possibly lose sight of a child for a moment? The perfect parent is usually not a parent at all.

Honored Contributor

This is an extremely sad situation.  This poor family will never 100% get over this.

There was a small child about two years old who lives near me.  He went next door to use the neighbor's pool when they were not home.  He climbed over the gate and then somehow pulled down the steps that were pushed up on the rim of the pool for safety reasons ( above ground pool). He climbed in, but never climbed out.

This child was missing for days.  The parents were frantic. When the neighbors came home from vacation, they found him.

Kids are smart and they are flexible.  A gate or a locked door won't always keep them safe.  If you own a pool and there are small children around, you must do more.

It is not expensive to buy a pool alarm.  If a person or animal gets into the water, a shrill alarm will sound. You could also put an alarm on the back door that leads to the pool.

When you visit someone who has a pool, you must double check to see that all safety precautions are in place.

In the Bode Miller's situation, someone left the door unlocked or the lock was low enough for the child to reach to pull a chair over to unlock.

Maybe  some good will come out of this tragic loss.  Let's do everything we can to keep our little ones safe.