Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today Show today: Bode Miller's Daughter's Drowning

@Shawnie wrote:

Tragic.  But no fence around that pool???  They fenced their own pool but go to a neighbor who hasn't?  I really can't stand to hear the can't watch them 24-7 excuse.  It's a toddler.  You watch them all the time.  If I were him I could never trust her with my babies.

No eating, sleeping, cooking, cleaning, bathing, laundry, shopping, bathroom breaks?  Nothing but watching one or several (infants, toddlers or pre-schoolers) for 86,400 seconds a day?

Good luck on that one.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

To know that it could had been prevented, i imagine the guilt is overwhelming.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Tragic.  But no fence around that pool???  They fenced their own pool but go to a neighbor who hasn't?  I really can't stand to hear the can't watch them 24-7 excuse.  It's a toddler.  You watch them all the time.  If I were him I could never trust her with my babies.

No eating, sleeping, cooking, cleaning, bathing, laundry, shopping, bathroom breaks?  Nothing but watching one or several (infants, toddlers or pre-schoolers) for 86,400 seconds a day?

Good luck on that one.

At bit of exaggeration, No Eating???  They should be protected.  You can do all of that, know where they are and protect them.  I had to laugh at your list.  My mother even took us into the bathroom with her.  

Esteemed Contributor

I saw this interview as well as the story on Inside Edition after this happened.

So heartbreaking, makes me just want to cry for them.

Their next baby is due in October.

Hope they can stay strong and get thru this as a family together.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Good luck on that one.

At bit of exaggeration, No Eating???  They should be protected.  You can do all of that, know where they are and protect them.  I had to laugh at your list.  My mother even took us into the bathroom with her.  

I would never want to judge a parent in that kind of situation.  There but for the grace of God go any of us.  It is heartbreaking.  Kids are incredibly fast.   In a blink of an eye my 2 y/o gd can get into anything.  As far as the no eating response, if you are watching 24/7, that includes turning your back to get things out of the fridge, cooking or anything.  I know in that period of time my gd or dd (when she was a tod) could get out a door and do anything.  In CA we are required by law to have a fence around our pool or an alarm system.  I don't know if that's how it is in all states.   There is a huge difference between being a neglectful parent and a good parent but an awful accident happens.

Honored Contributor

Why was there not a fence around the pool?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

What kind of fence are you all thinking should have been around the pool?

The article says the kids were playing inside the house and this little girl went out the door into the backyard.

I know many people with pools. I don't know one person that has a fence right around the pool that you have to go through to get to the pool. 

People have fences around their backyard where the pool is located but once you are in the backyard, the pool is there. 

My relatives have a built-in pool and 2 small children.  All doors leading out of the house are locked if the kids are inside.  All the doors have locks towards the top where a child cannot reach.

Their pool also has a cover that can withstand the weight of an adult falling on it and you won't drown.  You can actually walk on it.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I missed the interview.  Was anything said about any police investigation and/or any possible charges?  In S. Florida where I live you get arrested for these type of child neglect or abuse situations..... unless of course you are rich and famous. I am not kidding or exaggerating.

Occasional Contributor

We put a pool in about 7 years ago.  We were required by our city to have childproof, locking gates and fencing around the pool even though we had a fenced in yard.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

That is not an excuse, it is a fact.  It is impossible to have eyes on your child ALL THE TIME.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead