Honored Contributor

Re: Today Is the Hottest Day Ever Recorded in France

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman  The condo isn't in London but in Stamford (which is why we rent a place when in London). My in-laws owned the condo but deeded it to my husband as part of his inheritance (they are still on the deed) for tax reasons. 

They still own FIL's family home in Northumberland as well as a townhouse in Kensington; neither has AC though I'm will to bet that will change when they fly over next month.

Both my husband and I are originally from the UK. We are the only ones in the US; the grandparents split their time between their home near us and their other homes overseas (that aren't rented out).

I hear you on the flying; I used to LOVE it. Not any more : (

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in NoCal , we have have hot  summers . July and august can bring 107 for a week or so. We are blessed with cool evenings from the ocean.  The cool nights in low 50's sometimes high 40's give relief.  However, there are times when it is in the 100's days and nights are 70. So the days start off warm and get worse from there.  This is what many people deal with, and its awful.  Lately because of all the rain we had, the we have had humid day which are nearly unbearable.  Not used to humidity!  We didst have A/c til last year!!  Much of Europe doesn't have air.  Hit and miss.  My friend lives near London and it got to 102 there last summer.  They didnt know what to do.

I

One year the state had the worst heat wave ever. 114-116. Santa Clara County had power failures everywhere.  Some were out for nearly a week. I wasn't effected but my daughters 1 mile away were!  4 days in scorching heat, no power! The local Raleys jacked up air, put lawn chairs out and people were going there for a break. Especially older seniors who are on meds and get dehydrated.  Senior center had no power

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I lived in Europe 25 years ago. We lived on economy housing for the military. Never once did I think of AC.
We rode bikes every where or walked and hiked a lot. Had so much fun, when not working.
Times have changed over there for sure!