Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today Is the Hottest Day Ever Recorded in France

I recall  sleeping in hot Summers  before there was air conditioning.  

I put a glass of ice water by my bed to sip because my daddy did that. The clinking sound of the ice somehow mad me cooler. 

I had two windows and he put a fan in one to make the hot air go out. 

During the night I would slip outside to the screened oorch to sleep on the glider.

The days were at the river and beach or fishing, crabbing. We sat reading under the trees on a blanket, caught lightening bugs. 

The grocer had a cooler with watermelons floating inside and he would cut a plug out so you could sample one.

Esteemed Contributor

I hit the post  by mistake on my memories of hot Summers. .  

I must add that the local theater had a sign with ice cycles hanging . It read “AIR CONDITIONING “.  We went often and how wonderful it was!

QVC Customer Care

@1Snickers 

Ah what a sweet memory...certainly brought me back to my own childhood. Thank you for that!

Beth QVC

Respected Contributor

I remember going to my pre natal dr.'s visits extra early to enjoy the cooling a/c.  We were poor, DH was in college working part time, I babysat children of other married students, so our accomodations were very basic and no a/c!   Oh, the good old days weren't always that good!

Honored Contributor

I grew up in So Cal and we never needed A/C.  The couple of hot days there were we got in the car, drove to Balboa Island to get a frozen banana.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was born and raised in Texas...back then we dealt with the heat using fans...they blew the hot air around so you had to stand right in from of one to cool off...but it never seemed unbearable....you just knew never to go outside without shoes...the tar in the street would melt and bubble up...so no flip flops...the tar would stick to them and pull them right off your feet.

I think as you get older the heat affects you more....and it is the heat index, not the temperature, that can be dangerous when it gets over three digits. I have family in France; Paris and Lyon. I know from many trips there that many places in Europe don’t even have a/c so I am sure they are really suffering from the heat right now. I know some places in the northern states here don’t have a/c either. I attended a wedding in Connecticut several years ago with only ceiling fans and it was over 90 degrees inside the church....hope they have air conditioning by now.

Honored Contributor

We got a room ac back in 1954 because someone in the family was ill. Our house was so small it cooled the whole house. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spoke with family in the UK and hot there is 90 degrees. I mean, they simply are miserable as it's usually around the low 70's in the summer. AC is not the norm, especially as you hit the midlands and go north. 

Funny thing: when we travel there, it's either at the family home or at homes we've booked online. These homes are new and majority are owned by investors. AC and every modern convenience you can imagine. There is a distinct difference between housing built in the past 10 years in and around London and other properties. We just installed AC into our rental unit outside of London because our agent informed us no one wanted to rent it unless it had AC; the property was built when Shakespeare roamed the cobblestone streets of the town....but it has AC now.  The last time we were in London (2 years ago) our landlords (very nice couple from Russia) told us how they were laughed at when they said they wanted AC placed in their home.

Wonder who is laughing now.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam 

Lucky you to have a rental in London!

I've never been, but, if I could ever overcome my fear of flying, I might make it.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you come to have a place there?

Honored Contributor

Feels like it's getting close here too.

hckynut

hckynut(john)