Respected Contributor

Re: Today Is the Hottest Day Ever Recorded in France

It was 95 in NJ and now it has cooled off to 90.🤣 I am so thankful to be in a place that has a/c this year.  I feel like I am in a dream and somebody is going to wake me up. I am so thankful I want to cry.😢

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76. Actually, temperatures here in the desert Southwest have been much below average in June, which is usually our hottest month.  I believe it got up to 94° 3 or 4 times but nowhere near 100° for the first time in years in the Albuquerque area.  The Southern Rockies have had several significant snowfalls during June with Memorial Day skiing at the Purgatory Resort near Durango.  I heard that temperatures in Phoenix have also been lower than normal.

There have been a number of days when I never turned my AC on.

Now might be a good time to introduce air conditioning businesses to Europe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Kachina624,

Increased heat alone is not the only index for global warming.  Others are floods caused by excessive rain.  Whatever is in the clouds holds too much moisture and down it comes. More dangerous storms such as hurricanes and tornadoes. Glaciers are melting.  Sea levels are rising; Miami and NYC are among the cities at risk of being submerged under water in a generation or two.  Less snow.  Increased temps cause precipitation to come down as rain rather than snow.

There are other examples that I'm certain you have read about.

Honored Contributor

@golding76.  I was referring to this statement that you made, which is not accurate.

"Heat has spread across every region of the country, bringing triple-digit temperatures from the Southwest to the East Coast"

Our June has been the most enjoyable I can recall.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This wasn't my statement -- the entire thing was copied from an online article.  

I thought I included the reporter.  I'll go back and do that now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

It strikes me as odd that 90º at the end of June is considered "extreme."

it was 111 in france......

my cousin was complaining today about the temperatures in london. she said at around 9pm it was still 90 degrees.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@cherry 

I agree.  Other than my childhood years, I've hated hot weather.  While I don't mind temps in the 80s, once it gets above that, my energy is zapped.  And, of course, the humidity in this area is legendary!  Cannot imagine living any further south.  Must be like a steam bath!

Not to mention the insects that come with summer.  I'm sitting here with a red welt on my arm the size of an orange.  A day or so ago, I had several small bites in that area, and now, it looks terrible and is hot and itchy.  I'm keeping an eye on it for sure.

And, I've been stung and had tick bites in the last two weeks!  Honestly, I'm like a magnet for these things.

Finally, my naturally curly hair looks like something might be nesting in it.  I'm trying to resist getting it straightened this summer (letting my curls come back), but when I look in the mirror it scares me Cat LOL

Did I say I hate summer?

DITTO.  !    Absolutely the worst time of the year for me.   

Joining both of you in hating summer heat and humidity. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Seka,

The last time I visited Greece was in 2003, which was one of their hottest summers ever.

I've always chuckled inside whenever Greeks would protest that their heat was superior to what we experience in the D.C. Metro Area.  The boast was, of course, "no humidity"  in Greece.  I beg to differ about the human suffering.  Like you, the heat wilted me and my two sons.  And we were on Crete, which sits immediately above North Africa, a full week. Some warm winds blew up from Africa that singed your hair.  Perhaps there is no great humidity but that heat scorches you.

Hot, dusty, miserable.  I had to laugh when we were visiting Crete (we went to several locales in Greece) and one of my sons grumbled, "Where in the heck are we, freakin' Iraq?"

That summer we had so many super hot days, way above 100, it was like a convection oven when you walked out into that hot dry 105 degrees and up air with the Oklahoma wind blowing it was just like opening the convection oven!  

Respected Contributor

My son and d-i-l were in France several years ago, they stayed in very nice hotels, but no a/c!   They sweated, coukdn't sleep because of the heat.   I feel sorry for anyone in France during this heat wave as a/c isn't used as it is here. 

Honored Contributor

As a child growing up in the same area I live now, I do not remember hot miserable summers...our home had no air conditioning, but I have no memories of  being hot, sweaty in my home.  As an adult  the heat bothers me terribly. So much that we just got air conditioning in our home.