Esteemed Contributor

Today Is A Bad Day (WARNING: SAD Story! Get Tissues!)

If this post is a little disjointed, I apologise, as I just got home.

My 16 year old cat Charlie hasn't been feeling well. He was off his feed, and only drinking water, lots of water, so I took him to see his vet today.

Today was the first day in about three days that Charlie ate any food, and it was a few bites at that. Today was also the first day that he had any real energy to walk around.

For the past few days, all he wanted to do was sleep.

So I took him to his vet. He didn't cry even once on the trip there. Not one single meow did he utter.

Once there, he started purring, and didn't stop.

The vet examined him, and took him in back for x-rays, and to draw his blood, and to check his electrolytes, amoung other things.

After they took his blood and x-rays, they brought him back to me, and I told him that I loved him, and thanked him for choosing me to live with (he came to me as a stray), and that I hoped that I gave him a good home and life. 

He purred and rubbed against my hand.

I think that was his way of saying, "Thank-you. You did, and I love you too."

I wasn't expecting anything positive. My gut was telling me to expect bad news.

The vet came back in after she read the x-rays and saw his blood results, and she told me that his red blood cell count was at 16%, when normal is 40%, plus she saw a large mass by his liver, and one upper lobe of his lung had collasped.

She told me that Charlie had cancer.

My heart broke as I knew what I had to do.

I had to do what was best for Charlie.

Tearfully, I told her that the best thing to do was to end his suffering, to let him go and to cross over to Rainbow Bridge.

She agreed with me.

I stayed with Charlie through out the procedure.

I held him in my arms, and petted him, and whispered in to his ear, "I love you Charlie. I love you Charlie. I love you Charlie."

He was purring right up to the end.

Blackie1 017.JPG

Goodbye, Charlie.

I will always love and miss you.

You were a great cat.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Today Is A Bad Day (WARNING: SAD Story! Get Tissues!)

@Anonymous032819  I'm so very sorry.  You gave Charlie an amazing life.  Wish there was something I could say to help with the sadness.  He's always with you, in your heart.  That's where we carry our beloveds.  I'm sending you my best thoughts.

Honored Contributor

Gosh @Anonymous032819  you have really been through the mill.. I wished we lived closer, I would be your designated driver, if you wanted to drown your sorrows

St Francis cares for all the animals living and dead. When I think of my Little's (pets)that I have lost, it always brings me comfort

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I'm so sorry for your loss.  I've been there, and understand how hard this is.  Sending you hugs.  

Contributor

I know how you feel.....the sadness and grief is overwhelming...My cat Cali passed away August 15th...She had hepatitis and she was 13 years old.......

Trusted Contributor

So sorry for your loss.  You did what was best for him.

Lots of hugs for your today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 

My heart is so sad for you😥💔.  Just know how blessed you were Charlie picked you & vice versa.

My sweet Frack last June exhibited the same symptoms.  A kitty who never let you hold him but the day I took him to the vet -- as calm sitting in my lap.  Got to vet just purred & purred.

E26AFF06-1E91-48F4-824F-CF9D67717C19.jpeg

I swear I think our pets are more in tune with our emotions than humans.  When we got the sad prognosis and the procedures, medicines, etc.  I knew prolonging his life was certainly not the way I wanted him to live the rest of his days.

F0DAE30B-CE26-4061-A648-BF35034C0F4D.jpeg

Its never to easy lose a pet -- know I'm sending you a hug & prayer to get thru this day.

Honored Contributor

Awww... so sorry.  DH and I have been in your shoes several times with our dogs...it is so very sad.  It's like losing family, take care.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 I'm bawling my eyes out. Charlie's photo is adorable. Bless you for loving him, caring for him and giving him a wonderful life. IMO he was purring as he "knew" that you were doing the kindest thing for him and he was at peace. Just my own thoughts.

I truly believe St. Francis cares for all the animals, pets or not, who have gone to heaven. I find that comforting.

Your love is still with him in animal heaven and he will always always be in your heart.  Heart

Honored Contributor

The downside of having a pet is having to do what you did today.  I feel so badly for you.  Seems like when you start having loses, they multiply.  Hope things turn around now and you'll have blue skies ahead.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment