Respected Contributor

Today I remember my dad........

[ Edited ]

My dad was a WWII vet and today I have so many emotional memories. He, like others never really talked about it, but my mom let us in on a few details he had shared with her over the years. My dad passed away in 1996. I miss him so!! 

I tried watching Saving Private Ryan and could not finish it. I will always be greatful for the men and women, past, present and future who fight for my freedom everyday. A total stranger I am to them and yet they are still willing...... ❤️💙❤️💙

Trusted Contributor

Re: Today I remember my dad........

I honor my Dad today too.  He is also a WWll veteran. Such brave men they were.  Love you, Dad.

Esteemed Contributor

@wvumountiefan 

I understand, as do many here.  My father was a WWII Merchant Marine.  He was proud of his service.

I have photos of him standing on the deck of a ship with the crew.  Mostly young, many races.  He was young and handsome.

Sadly, we rarely talked about his service.  Today, I wondered what had become of his dogtags and could not remember.  He died in 2001, and rests in peace at Cheltenham Cemetary in Maryland with my mother.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too remember my dad in a special way today.  He passed in 1992 and would be 102 today.  He drove a tank ashore at Normandy on D Day; his job was to fire on the German concrete bunkers built all along the cliffs in order to provide cover for the soldiers wading ashore.  So many brave souls, on both allied and axis sides, died that day.  It was the turning point of WW II.  I sometimes look at today's youth and wonder how they would fare if placed in that wartime scenario.  The Greatest Generation was truly that.  Thank you Daddy -- you're my hero.

Honored Contributor

My Dad died at 95 and never talked about the war. He and many other familty friends and relatives were in the invasion

My Mom who had a dear friend who lost her brother in the Invasion.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

My dad was a WWII Navy vet...he served in the South Pacific. He saw terrible things he never talked about..he was only 61 when he died. I'm glad he's at peace now and my mother is with him. War is a terrible thing..! I too honor those vets that gave their live's for our country!!! God bless their families too! Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

I already posted that my dad was part of the invasion at Normandy. I have several pictures during his time of service. He's buried in the veterans' cemetery here. Even though I know there were thousands of our troops there, I always look for him when there are documentaries or old news films or pictures. It's also become harder as time goes on to see those or Hollywood versions; maybe because I'm a mother of a millennial or because my father passed. 

Honored Contributor

I join many of you remembering our fathers on this day.  My father landed on Omaha beach a day after D-Day.  He later became a Prisoner of War but, thankfully, was released at end of war.  He did not talk of it much but did write his story.  Watching those veterans in attendance at ceremonies made me wonder if my dad would have gone back.  I don't think so.  

The coverage of D-Day has been well done.

Respected Contributor

My father served in the Philippines, the jungle. Most of his platoon were killed.  He was saved because he was doing kp. A box of ammunition fell on his back causing 

18 months in the VA hospital. He considered himself 

lucky.

My uncle was in the Normandy invasion. We never knew until he died that he was awarded 5 bronze stars.

He never said a word,

For the Greatest Generation this was just doing what you had to do. Bless them all RIP.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your amazing stories...the coverage on tv has been remarkable and the stories just amazing and heartbreaking...so thankful to all the brave men who fought.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it