Respected Contributor

Re: Today I Made My Best Purchase Ever!

Great deal for a penny lol..

In my area the County Weights and Measures has a section of the law..if the price on the item does not match the price it rings up..the customer is to receive the lowest of the sale prices!

Enjoy and wear with pleasure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CouponQueenwrote:

Great deal for a penny lol..

In my area the County Weights and Measures has a section of the law..if the price on the item does not match the price it rings up..the customer is to receive the lowest of the sale prices!

Enjoy and wear with pleasure.

@CouponQueen  Yeah, I wondered if that was the law here too.   Even if it's not, it's certainly good customer relations!   I'll always have a smile on my face about the Rack when I put that necklace on, with a great memory of its purchase.

I think there is really a difference between big chains and little mom and pop owned stores. Each type of store has its own pros and cons, and this story is definitely a "plus" for the bigger chains.  If there is no such law as you have, then I was thinking on my way home that a smaller-owned business probably wouldn't have done that for many reasons which are understandable.   I was glad the Rack was happy to give it to me for the one cent, which Nordies could afford to do.  The profit loss on that item wasn't coming out of the cashier's own pocket!

Valued Contributor

@Pearleewrote:

@haddon9wrote:

Sometimes good things happen to those who wait!  Smiley Happy Enjoy your new necklace!!

@haddon9 - it's funny that you say that.  My story was even longer than what I originally posted.

I had also been to The Rack the day before.  I had four sets of earring on those cardboard cards they are fastened onto on the top portion of my cart (where little kids would sit) next to my purse.  I walked over to a mirror to try them on, didn't want any of the four pair, and thought I'd put them all back on their display.   I made a few purchases that day too and when I walked out of the store with my cart (I was going to unload my purchases at my car) I noticed a card of earrings was stuck on a rung of the cart underneath my purse!  

I went back and returned them to the store where the clerk profusely thanked me  for bringing them back.  The next day, when I got the necklace for a penny, I thought my "virtue" of being honest had been "rewarded"!   A similar thought to yours. Smiley Happy

Virtue of being honest?  What else in good conscience could you have done? You put those earrings in your cart and left the store without paying for them. 

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudencewrote:

@Pearleewrote:

@haddon9wrote:

Sometimes good things happen to those who wait!  Smiley Happy Enjoy your new necklace!!

@haddon9 - it's funny that you say that.  My story was even longer than what I originally posted.

I had also been to The Rack the day before.  I had four sets of earring on those cardboard cards they are fastened onto on the top portion of my cart (where little kids would sit) next to my purse.  I walked over to a mirror to try them on, didn't want any of the four pair, and thought I'd put them all back on their display.   I made a few purchases that day too and when I walked out of the store with my cart (I was going to unload my purchases at my car) I noticed a card of earrings was stuck on a rung of the cart underneath my purse!  

I went back and returned them to the store where the clerk profusely thanked me  for bringing them back.  The next day, when I got the necklace for a penny, I thought my "virtue" of being honest had been "rewarded"!   A similar thought to yours. Smiley Happy

Virtue of being honest?  What else in good conscience could you have done? You put those earrings in your cart and left the store without paying for them. 

@DearPrudence  I think she placed them in the cart by accident and when she saw that it wasn't paid for returned them.

Honored Contributor

@Pearleewrote:

And it wasn't from QVC!  It's from Nordstrom Rack.

Months ago, I bought a Kate Space necklace there for $79.95 (I don't know what its original price was at Nordstrom's).  It's beautiful, a "tennis necklace" in aurora borealis stones that are very deep in color, not clear ones,  so that  many colors emanate from the stones, predominantly a peacock blue and dark pink but it is gorgeous esp. in sunlight.  Even the metal back (the settings for the stones) is multicolored, rather than just goldtone.

I thought it would go great with a lot of my LOGO pieces and lots of other pieces in my wardrobe.

However, back when I first bought it, around the holidays, I decided I really shouldn't be spending that on myself when I had other things to buy, and talked myself into returning it, which I did.   I think I did that because at the time the store had two, so I figured I could get it later after the holidays.

Well, I never did see it again until today.  The price was $35.95 so I was thrilled to be getting it at less than half what I had originally paid. 

I took it to the register and....it rang up one cent.  Yep, a penny which is not what the clearance price tag on it said.  Both the cashier and I knew it couldn't be one cent, so she called the manager over who said, "give it to her for one cent."   So, yes, I paid a penny for it - I didn't even put it on my Nordie charge card!  Smiley Happy    Gosh, I could double my money for it by listing it on Ebay ....   LOL!     The cashier said to me, "today is your lucky day!"    I guess so!  I sure am going to enjoy wearing this necklace!   Whenever someone compliments me, I can say, "and it only cost a penny."   (For Kate Spade yet!)  I think I may frame my receipt for it, as my best deal ever!   Smiley Happy

You go girl LOL.  Fantastic

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DearPrudencewrote:

@Pearleewrote:

@haddon9wrote:

@DearPrudence  Oh for goodness sakes.  I could have stolen them which apparently, from the clerk's reaction, a lot of people do. I could have, but wouldn't ever do that.  Lots of other people apparently would though.   I wasn't talking about "in good conscience" - you were.  My conscience is always clear because I am always honest.

@haddon9  I had placed four pair of earrings in my cart  - deliberately - and moved to a mirror to try them on, and thought I'd put them all back. When I left the store and discovered I hadn't put them all back, which I thought I had, I brought that pair back.

Valued Contributor

Your story made me smile. That necklace had your name on it and was meant to be yours! Im so glad you got to have it and didnt have to worry about the price.
Sometimes, we wear and love those things that we paid for the least the most than the other way around. Enjoy enjoy. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee ... Best deal I ever heard of!  What do you suppose they would have charged if it were on a half-price sale?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

A while back I got a tennis necklace fromJTV but it would not lay properly on my neck so I had to return it. Then I was at the mall in Sarasota and saw what I believe is the necklace you are talking about.I was with a friend and she was saying I should buy it but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much. Then it showed up for my birthday. My DH asked her what she thought I'd like and she remembered that necklace. He got it at a lower price than I saw it at but he still paid much more than a penny! 

I wonder if we have the same necklace?

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie  Thanks for your post. Smiley Happy  It was already priced at about half the original price at the Rack (which is Nordstrom's outlet store so I can't even imagine the original price).  It was first at the Rack at $79.99 and I was going to buy it at its clearance price of $35.99 which was about half.  Then I got it for the one cent!  Deal!

@151949  I wonder too.  Is yours all multicolored on the back on the base metal? I think that's pretty distinctive - have never seen that before.  I've looked online for it to post a photo here but haven't been able to find it.

@mintedrose  That you so very much for posting such a sweet post.  It comes across how happy you are for me, which is very gracious of you.  Thanks.  Smiley Happy