Honored Contributor

Re: Today Doesn't Even Feel Like Thanksgiving

For DH and I  alway spend Hoidays alone...nothing new for us this Thanksgiving. I am thankful we can spend it together.❤️ DH always wants a traditional small scale Thanksgiving dinner ...stuffing etc....If it was just me, I would not do a thing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It wasn't a bad day for us- in another thread I'd shared our nephew had tested positive, now his mom (my sister-in-law) tested postive and showing symptoms- her Dr. has started her on steroids..  We are quite concerned for them of course so today was ok yet stressful, for lack of better words.

Off Note, please add them to your prayers- that would be more than greatly appreciated.  I said mine tonight and gave thanks for everything bestowed upon us and to heal those that are sick.

It's just the two of us here and Bussie so we had sketty and pumpkin pie..  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Regular Contributor

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because of the food.  It was just my husband, daugher and myself so it was a nice quiet day.  My brother and his wife usally come down to vist from PA this time of the year. I don't mind them but my brother has to bring his 2 dogs with him. They have to stay outside because of our cats and they are very destructive.

Our thanksgiving consists of me cooking and them tapping constantly on the windows getting the dogs stirred up so today was really nice.

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

It wasn't a bad day for us- in another thread I'd shared our nephew had tested positive, now his mom (my sister-in-law) tested postive and showing symptoms- her Dr. has started her on steroids..  We are quite concerned for them of course so today was ok yet stressful, for lack of better words.

Off Note, please add them to your prayers- that would be more than greatly appreciated.  I said mine tonight and gave thanks for everything bestowed upon us and to heal those that are sick.

It's just the two of us here and Bussie so we had sketty and pumpkin pie..  

@Suziepeach, I hope that your nephew and his mom recover quickly and fully.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

I'm so less stressed this year.  I always have out of state guests so there is the extra cleaning, towels, changing sheets on all the beds, on and on.  Then there's all the cooking including the evening dinner and breakfast in the morning.  Of course I miss them but for this year it is just the two of us and I'm enjoying my freedom.

@Biftu  Did you wear something LOGO today?

@Pearlee  Surprisingly I did not.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had smaller Thanksgivings and I have had larger Thanksgivings. Today was one of the smaller ones.

Five people. one DS, his wife, me and the hosts-DB & DSIL. Masks, social distancing and open doors for ventilation

Relaxed, quiet, no one drank too much, no TV/football, no arguments, got home before 7PM, yummy food, great people, gorgeous home, fabulous weather.

Much to be thankful for. I hope everyone found something to be thankful for and enjoy today.

Esteemed Contributor

My younger DS and his fiancee celebrated the holiday at home today- no guests or family by their choice. I was very happy to see from the pic they sent me that they prepared a full Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimming for themselves, making the best of it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Anonymous - I understand the sentiment you shared. I like the question someone posted - what does Thanksgiving feel like? It feels different each year to me depending on family situations and the world. I try to flow with it - lower my expectations while planning a good day. I'm that way about life now. I read a good article today about visiting the place called ENOUGH. A place of contentment where gratitude washes over us. (sounds wonderful, doesn't it? I keep making plans to visit that place) Have a good weekend.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I celebrated alone this year...a first for us. DD has been quarantined and our oldest grandson has covid. I am thankful that he isn't very sick with it and, so far, his little family hasn't gotten it. He seems to be on the mend.  Our other grandson's fiance came to our door with a mask on and she had made us a delicious dessert.  She didn't come in but wrote us a lovely note to go with it. DD called to see how  our day was going. 

I got an uninterrupted 2 hr. nap which was great!! DH and I enjoyed our day and feel we have much to be thankful for. I didn't think I would feel the same this year but I think since we went ahead with our traditions (DH and I) it kept us in the spirit of things.

Honored Contributor

Today was certainly different for DH and me.  Every year for the past 30+ years we've gone to our church to help prepare and serve a Thanksgiving meal of turkey and ham and all the trimmings to community members.  Today was different; due to Covid we stayed home, and we missed that. 

We feel almost isolated in our beautiful retirement community and continue our quarantine efforts.  Just one more day of staying home, wearing masks, washing hands and staying at least 6' distance from neighbors.  We ordered delivery of two meals from a church in our new town; it was delicious but we more than missed our friends and family.  So, we ate and watched TV (NO news) and read and posted on the computer.  Not much else.  Smiley Sad

But I did take time to give thanks for friends and family.  I lost my brother early this year and he's been on my mind so much recently.  Heart  We were close and I miss him so much.  I try to practice patience but it so difficult as the days and months go by.  We as a people need HOPE!

HOPE is on the horizon.  It appears there are currently three drug companies that have come up with vaccines for Covid 19 so perhaps we will be back to a new normal in November 2021.  We can only hope and pray the vaccine protocol is successful.  Meanwhile, we wait and HOPE for the best outcome.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~